Gleaning Corn

• 5 Replies

peter rooster

Gleaning Corn
« on: September 02, 2010, 23:59 »
Hi

Does anybody else gleen corn left by the farmers? ???. I am very lucy the farmer down the road from where I live lets me gather round the edge of the fields. (he thinks I am barmy just fill a sack he says) I help by keeping the pigion, rabbits, geese numbers under control.  This year he has planted trees into the wheat fiels over about 1/2 acre so all this is to glean. When I walk my dogs I snap the storks off close to the ground then tie as a sheaf from run roof so they can peck it. Thinking of trying to store some should I just pull heads off and bag? or tie as sheathes to hang up? I do enjoy getting good food the the girls for free. ::).
 Can I feed to much corn?
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

Jeanette

Re: Gleaning Corn
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:22 »
Corn should be treated as a treat and only given in the evening after they have had a good fill up on pellets.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:30 »
If you feed too much wheat the hens may get fat and this can cause problems with egg laying. I think 20g per bird per day is about right.
The only pre-gleaning i did was when pigeon shooting over pea fields, i never could resist a few pods. :)
The farmers are normally good for a bag of tailings (broken grain and weed seed) from the combine or dryer, all good chook food.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:34 »
I don't but my hens do - they free range and always help themselves even when the grains are being sown, I just have to be careful they don't get harvested by the combine  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

peter rooster

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15 »
Got about 1/2 tonne tailings/first sample cut from farmer  :) split it with my pheasant shoot. Not sure if it will keep.

I can not stop gleaning out goosing this morning still came back with a sheaf of wheat for the girls. :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 13:35 »
get guinea fowl (only if you have no neighbours as they can be very noisy) they are also known as gleaners  :D

xx
corn

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:18
by dizzylizzie
xx
Possible for a Hen to not like Corn?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 13:24
by SMS6
xx
Corn

Started by sally10 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:46
by k4t1e195
xx
Weevils in my corn

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 09:38
by Lewjam

Page created in 0.657 seconds with 37 queries.