Some Domestic Duck Questions.

• 6 Replies

Mona

« on: July 11, 2007, 15:53 »
Hi everyone,

I've been looking into keeping ducks as pets for a while now. I'm experienced in raising Mallard ducklings for return to the wild but the pet arena is a maze of subtle differences. My net research has left me a bit confused and I have some, probably silly, questions. This seemed like a great place to ask for some help.

I've seen several pages talking about "flightless domestic ducks" so I went to www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk for clarification. For some breeds they list "flying" as excellent (such as the georgeous Call Ducks), on others they say they rarely fly but on a number they don't mention it all all. Does that imply they don't or can't fly? Is there such a thing as a genuinely flightless duck?

Each September huge gaggles of geese gather on the field beside our house before migrating. Besides being an increased bird 'flu risk, would it affect pets in any other way?

Which breeds are the best for pets in your opinion? For instance, are there any that are known or you've found to be being extra-friendly? Is there a webpage that lists personality traits of each breed? I can't find anything consistant :(

Thanks for much guys :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 19:27 »
I have 6 Aylesburys and a nicer duck you have yet to find, real comediens and a bit of attitude but so lovely.

I don't think mine could fly they are so big but you can trim feathers if you wanted to be sure
As babies

Charlie and Frances Drake!!

WG.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 19:49 »
Hi Mona, if you are after the duck eggs, I can recommend Khaki Campbells as being good layers.  Lovely characters too.

Mona

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 21:58 »
Thanks for the ideas :D Does size affect the personality of the duck, do you think? Like it can sometimes with dogs.

slowef: They look gorgeous, there's something about seeing a duckling that always makes me happy.

whisky_golf: I'm a vegan so the eggs aren't vital, at the moment anyway.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:44 »
I like big things (OH exception he is a short ars*) Big Dogs etc, I think it does effect a personality, but ducks have it in "shed loads" anyway.  One thing about a duck is it always looks like its smiling.  

What about Indian runners they seem popular, my sister loves them, not sure about the flying thing though.

belladonna

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 14:09 »
We have three gorgeous khaki campbells, all with great personalities, and even though we have loads of wild ducks flying all over the place round us we have no problems with them flying. If you are worried, you could just clip their wings occasionally just to be on the safe side

belladonna

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 14:11 »
our khakis have also got really tame quite quickly

xx
Duck Questions

Started by darrena on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 19:51
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
So ... duck questions :-)

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 07:40
by peggyprice
xx
Duck egg incubation questions

Started by Parrot on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 13:52
by diamond_lil
xx
Me again, more broody duck questions and some very weird behaviour!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 17:28
by chloe

Page created in 1.265 seconds with 36 queries.