What Type of Netting?

• 10 Replies

Becky H

What Type of Netting?
« on: September 02, 2010, 16:17 »
Helloo!!

I have a raised bed (well will have the top soil is arriving tomorrow :)) and need to keep a certain cat out of what he thinks is the biggest cat box he has ever seen  :lol:

I was looking at one of the build a ball cages to use on the bed but all the kits come with insect netting which I thought may be a problem as the bees can't get to the flowers to pollinate.  Is there something else I can use to keep the cat out???

Thanks muchly for your help

Bex

Goosegirl

Re: What Type of Netting?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 16:45 »
I would use clematis netting fixed on either corner by bamboo canes - works for me with 4 cats!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 19:18 »
Depend on what you want to grow. If it's plants that need pollinating then open mesh netting will suffice and keep the cats out and let the bees and pollinating insects in. If you want to grow carrots, cabbage, salad crops etc then I would use Enviromash or something similar as it will keep butterflies and insects out. Cabbage White caterpillars can decimate brassicas and carrot fly can do the same to carrots. Onions, shallots, garlic will be OK under open mesh netting.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 20:35 »
>Is there something else I can use to keep the cat out???

I must not even think about inappropriate methods of cat-control when browsing this forum.
I must not even think about inappropriate methods of cat-control when browsing this forum.
I must not...

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 20:50 »
I can't believe you could think such things! Those thoughts never crossed my mind.

Nice one.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 20:56 »
Still laughing  :D :D :D :D :D
Small things and a simple mind :wacko:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 21:26 »

I must not...
Do you have a problem?
Cheese makes everything better.

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 21:53 »
>Do you have a problem?

Nope - Mum and Dad have the problem, he's called Ratty, and he lives 2000miles away from my veggies!
SS & Ratty SMALL - Copy.jpg

Becky H

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 22:13 »

I must not...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the help and giggles!!! Am off to work out what will be growing where and if it needs pollinating!!! :unsure:

peterjf

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 23:15 »
 to keep the cats off try debris netting
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 00:02 by noshed »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51 »
If you read the original post, peterjf, Becky does not want to exclude pollinating insects. They certainly on get through debris netting very easily!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Which type of insecticide

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 22:20
by jaws8
xx
How much soil and what type?

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 15:36
by compostqueen
xx
What type of apple

Started by BarnBrian on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 09:00
by BarnBrian

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 36 queries.