Shredded cabbage, salt and water. Will I survive?

• 21 Replies

Trillium

Re: Shredded cabbage, salt and water. Will I survive?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 02:56 »
Thanks trillium for your excellent tip.

I must add that the Romanian method I have been advised to use seems alot easier without any mould or fermenting.

1) Take cabbage shred finely.

2) Put it in your recipient with water and salt one good table spoon of water per litre.

3) Add horseradish if you like.

4) Leave it at room temp for two three weeks.

5) Eat it.

How,s that?

It's basically what I've outlined other than the Romanian method depends on more salty water to ferment rather than the cabbage's own juices. Your method also contains a lot more salt that I or anyone with heart conditions could eat. And the addition of horseradish really does alter the basic flavour. It would be more like kimchee - very powerful fire cabbage and f*rtmaker for those unaccustomed to it  :D

Swing Swang

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 07:10 »
>Same thing with mouldy cheese.........can't actually get it into my mouth

More for me then!

catllar

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 14:30 »
If I can't see it, or I don't have to deal with it, fair enough. I will always happily assume that  food prep industry people know what they are doing with their moulds and ferments. In my home kitchen I'm a bit less adventurous and don't really want to cultivate mould! OH loves sauerkraut so it does occasionally get through the door, I just couldn't make the stuff. I can't make my own vinegar either - that big blob of gunk throbbing away in the jar gives me the  creeps! each to their own! Bon appetite

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 19:03 »
Thanks, so far, to everyone for their comments.

So, there I was with two large red cabbage, a 10 litre recipient some salt and a bread slicer borrowed from the kind neighbour. All work surfaces AND THE CARPET were covered with paper and towels as red cabbage stains.

I filled half the recipient with finely shredded cabbage salt and water before I gave up and , Trillium, I take your point about the blood pressure aspects of the project because I may have bunged a few more spoons of salt in for good luck and could feel my ventricles twitch as I did it.

My Romanian source tells me that two weeks minimum should do it and I hope its tasty because I've got two packets of Romanian cabbage to seed and plant before I go into commercial production.

In two weeks then......let the games begin.

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 19:06 »
Let us know the outcome as we're all interested - normally we don't kraut red cabbage, only green.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 19:13 »
I take your point about excessive wind, Trillium, gosh what volume!!

I'm sure we are looking at a source of sustainable energy that could, if harnessed and refined properly, save the worlds  renewable problems over night.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 13:40 »
I have sampled my red cabbage and I have to report it was disgusting so I threw it away.

The colour of the cabbage seeped which is okay the cabbage was limp and soft but it smelt pretty awful. Flecks of mould on the surface didn't put me off tasting it and I can report that it was not good.

I shall try with ordinary cabbage, measure the salt per litre properly and flavour with horseradish before finally giving up and reverting to pickle.

xx
My salt won't dissolve!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 22:08
by Aunt Sally
xx
pickling salt ??

Started by needssomehelp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:21
by joyfull
smiley
kosher salt

Started by uppsiedaisy57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 21:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Salt Beef

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:06
by Spana

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.