Shredded cabbage, salt and water. Will I survive?

• 21 Replies

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
Shredded cabbage, salt and water. Will I survive?
« on: September 01, 2010, 20:57 »
I've been told if I finely shred white cabbage, add it to water with salt ( one tablespoon per litre) and keep it in a large container like a demi john for a month it will keep and be a sort of sauerkraut ish way of preservation.

If I do this will I be able to eat the finished product? Has anyone else tried this method and if so did you survive and have you got any tips?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Shredded cabbage, salt and water. Will I survive?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 22:36 »
Now this sounds familiar, but for the life of me I can't think where I've read about it, I'll have mooch round and see what I can find, Jude.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 22:43 »
Kind of -- fermentation needs care though

Try this recipe
http://chetday.com/sauerkrautrecipe.htm

hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 22:50 »
I think Trillium does this...........she'll be along soon :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 22:51 »
She does -- I remember now.

Wonder if her method is the same as the one in the link?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:52 »
I forget the exact quantity of shredded cabbage (don't use cores) to about a tablespoon of coarse or pickling salt, but it would be at least 8 cupfuls of finely shredded cabbage. The secret is to use your hands and mix in the salt with each layer before adding the next. Once you're done, weight the works down with a plate that just fits the crock/container and sit a tied bag of water on it. Or, just use several tied bags of water to hold it down. There's no need to add water to the cabbage as the juices will soon start to come out. Cover the container with some cheesecloth or a clean linen towel to keep out fruit flies. Check in a few days and make sure there's enough juice to cover the contents. If not, then add just enough water to cover but no more.

Check once a week on progress and remove any bits of mold that might form. These are harmless. It depends on your room temperature as to fermentation time, so it could be about 4-5 weeks on average. To test for doneness, remove the moldy parts on top, carefully dip into the 'good' part and taste. You'll know when it's ready or if it needs a bit longer.

If ready, you can either remove the top layer of moldy stuff and simply keep it weighted down. Occasionally you'll need to remove more moldy tops.

Or, you can do as I do - put the clean layer into a large stock pot, add just enough water to cover, heat to almost boiling, divide into clean bottling jars, cap, and hot water bath them for about 20 minutes and then cool. This stops all further fermentation and will keep for years. To use, simply add the contents to your cooking container and add your choice of seasonings but check the saltiness first before adding any. As is, is usually just enough. And then cook as desired. If you want to panfry the kraut, first drain off the water.

The mennonite community near me make huge quantities of it in used olive barrels, the 55 gal types. I don't envy the ladies having to shred the cabbage by hand (they don't use electricity).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:50 »
I know the mould is harmless, but it's that, that always puts me off of trying this  :nowink:

catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 16:24 »
remove any bits of mold that might form.  remove the moldy parts on top, carefully dip into the 'good' part and taste. You'll know when it's ready or if it needs a bit longer.

If ready, you can either remove the top layer of moldy stuff and simply keep it weighted down. Occasionally you'll need to remove more moldy tops.

You're just not selling this to me ,Trillium. It's the too frequent use of the word "mold" that does it, I'm afraid!

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 20:27 »
Sorry  :D but that's what it is. It's just a thin surface layer which is simply more obvious than in other things you can make. I just use a slotted spoon to remove 'it' and straight into the bin. It's actually a good sign if you get 'it', that things are working as they should. Your cabbage quantity is usually enough that 'it' is negligible. Once the kraut has matured, it's very tasty, and if you can't eat vinegary things (I'm one who can't), then this is great. The juice itself is wonderful for troublesome tummies and recommended by dieticians.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 19:20 »
Thanks trillium for your excellent tip.

I must add that the Romanian method I have been advised to use seems alot easier without any mould or fermenting.

1) Take cabbage shred finely.

2) Put it in your recipient with water and salt one good table spoon of water per litre.

3) Add horseradish if you like.

4) Leave it at room temp for two three weeks.

5) Eat it.

How,s that?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 19:50 »
sorry, but, I think it will ferment in the water just the same, so let us know what happens when you do it :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 20:15 »
Yep, it sure will  ;)

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 20:27 »
japagrow - sounds about right - Can use white wine instead of water and flavour with junipur berries/spices/peppercorns etc.

Quite safe and tasty.

SS

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 21:34 »
>You're just not selling this to me ,Trillium. It's the too frequent use of the word "mold" that does it, I'm afraid!

catllar - if the thought of mould doesn't induce a Pavlovian cascade gustatory juices then I'll take all your blue cheese/sherry/huitlacoche/bread/soy sauce/sake/beer/quorn/Sauternes/truffles/fine balsamic vinegar/bletted fruits etc.  :)

(actually you can keep the huitlacoche and the quorn!)

SS

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 21:42 »
Knowing there is mould in the process is one thing........but actually having and seeing mould in your cabbage pot... purlease..NO.

Same thing with mouldy cheese.........can't actually get it into my mouth and when it's hidden in sauces...Yuk

xx
My salt won't dissolve!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 22:08
by Aunt Sally
xx
pickling salt ??

Started by needssomehelp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:21
by joyfull
smiley
kosher salt

Started by uppsiedaisy57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 21:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Salt Beef

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:06
by Spana

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.