Our hen is ill - help requested

• 15 Replies

elfinblues

Our hen is ill - help requested
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:14 »
Hello. This is my first time on this forum - I'm searching the internet trying to work out what might be the problem with our hen and am hoping that some kind people here may be able to help?

We have four ex-battery hens who have all been in excellent health. Yesterday, however, my favourite - Rita - started looking unwell: puffed up and standing on her own away from the others. We brought her into the warmth of the house overnight but have put her back out today to see how she eats and drinks. We've noticed that she's drinking a lot, but we've not seen her eat. Her crop seems to be larger than usual this morning (but not hard - more soft and squidgy), and she is frequently trying to poo but nothing or only small amounts come out. Also, whilst gently massaging her crop a few minutes ago, she regurgitated most of the water she's been drinking. It seems that she has a digestive problem of some kind - we initially thought constipation, but that doesn't explain the large crop of regurgitating water. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be and - most importantly - the best thing we can do to help her?

THank you so much in advance for any advice you might be able to give.

WIth best wishes,
Steve

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Our hen is ill - help requested
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:18 »
HI and Welcome,

She does sound as though she has a crop problem.

Have a read through this http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0  scroll down to the bit about crop problems.  Let us know if that fits your girl.

elfinblues

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:59 »
THank you Aunt Sally. I've considered impacted and sour crops, but her crop isn't hard - it's more squidgy than anything - and it doesn't smell - so I'm not sure if it is either of these conditions. SHe has, however, regurgitated a couple of times - she's drinking such a lot of water that it was really just that water coming back out. To help her, we've given her backside a warm soak this morning, and we've fed her some olive oil and some yoghurt. We've also put some vitamin drops in her water. I'm not really sure what else we can do?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 13:34 »
The only other sugestion I have would be to consult a vet.  It could be anything from an infection needing some antibiotics to many things that could have caused organ damage or a gut blockage. 

How long have you had them and have they been wormed ?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks.  If her crop is full and squishy in the morning it would still point to sour crop even if not smelly.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 17:28 »
sorry to hear about your girl,  hows she been laying recently, dont rule out that she could be trying to pass a softy either, one of my girls is currently going through this and its awful,  she has been trying to pass it from her backend, which also could look like shes trying to poo, just a thought  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

elfinblues

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 19:16 »
Thanks Aunt Sally and Nicky D for your help. I definitely think it is her crop - it seems to be getting bigger, but she's drinking such a lot of water that I think it is mostly water rather than food.

As for sour crop, I've read that if that were the cause she might be making jerking movements with her head/neck, as if she were trying to expel food? She's not doing this at all, but that said, it still seems one of the more likely causes.

We're giving her yoghurt and olive oil; we gave her another warm bath earlier in case the 'blockage' was at her back end, and we're keeping her warm.

We've had our girls for just over a year, and I put worming powder in their food every few months - the last was only last week. As for laying, it's a bit hard to tell because she's in with three other girls, but as she's smaller than the others I always assume hers are the little eggs! I'm reasonably sure, therefore, that she's been laying pretty much as per normal up until very recently (ie the last day or two).

We're keeping her in the house tonight, and I'll check her crop in the morning. If it's still full, I'll be straight on the phone to the nearest avian vet.

I love our little Rita and am really hoping she rallies around overnight.

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 21:03 »
Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

elfinblues

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:27 »
Hello. I am overwhelmingly sad to say that our lovely little hen Rita died at 1 o'clock this morning. We had her as comfy as we could make her, in a box by our bedside, and we were with her. I have to admit I cried a little when I went out to let our other hens out this morning, at the realisation that she would no longer be there, pecking around with them and following me into the shed each morning. I also feel sad when I think that as an ex-battery hen she spent two of her three short years in a cage; I just hope she enjoyed her last year with us. She was certainly very loved.

Thank you to everyone who offered their advice to me. It was really very much appreciated.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:53 »
so sorry for you I lost one of my little girls last night soooooooooooooo sad hugs xxx

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:42 »
So sorryTo hear that you have lost Rita :(

evie2

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:57 »
so sorry Rita died :( you gave her a chance to just be a chicken and that's something to be proud of :)

Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 14:49 »
A year with you - What a wonderful way to finish an otherwise apalling life.  You should feel proud :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 15:53 »
Im so sorry to hear of the sad loss of your Rita. It is amazing how attached we become to our babies, but Im sure her last year was the best any chook could ever have.
An extra big hug coming over to you from this side of the channel.

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 20:20 »
So sorry to hear your news.  :(    You gave her a fabulous last year.

elfinblues

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 22:09 »
Thank you all so much - you're lovely people!

We're a little bit panicky today as one of our other hens seems under the weather - she didn't take herself in at night (which is a first) tonight and was asleep under a chair when I went to put them all to bed for the night. She doesn't seem unwell like Rita did - she just seems a bit quiet, but we're fearing the worst. We're keeping our fingers crossed and doing all we can for her.

xx
Help requested (from NZ) - Very Soft or no-shell eggs

Started by PennyT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 14:49
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 44 queries.