Slightly odd garlic

• 6 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Slightly odd garlic
« on: August 29, 2010, 20:40 »
I pulled my garlic up two or three weeks back and it's a pretty good crop, but there's quite a few bulbs that are slightly odd. Where most bulbs have a fairly smooth layer of large cloves beneath the skin, these bulbs have a layer of large cloves but with another layer of small cloves around the outside of them. Because of this, the skin has tended to break or split around these smaller cloves. Where they've done this, I think I'm probably best to pot them up into chopped garlic or lazy garlic, just in case they don't store too well. But does anybody know what causes this? They're Solent Wight, planted last autumn, and other than the odd cloves they seem pretty healthy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Slightly odd garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 21:04 »
Aren't the small cloves simply new bulbs?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 21:51 »
Aren't the small cloves simply new bulbs?

I don't know, they just look like ordinary cloves. The problem is that because there's a row of small cloves on the outside of the bigger cloves, but under the same outside skin, they're causing that skin to split and hence the bulb as a whole isn't covered by a complete skin. I've never seen that happen before, so I just wondered what would cause it.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 23:06 »
Have the 'odd' bulbs had any special treatment, for exampe extra feed or more water, or less water. Im just trying to work it out, im a bit confused to what has happend :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 23:45 »
One of mine was like this - a good size but just as u say. I'm going to use it first in case it doesn't store. Dunno what caused it - same treatment as all the others I think.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 00:26 »
Quite a few of mine are like that. I'm using them first in case they don't keep so well and  keeping several totally sheathed bulbs for planting in October/November.
You could just use the uncovered cloves first if the rest of the bulb is enclosed?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54 »
Have the 'odd' bulbs had any special treatment, for exampe extra feed or more water, or less water. Im just trying to work it out, im a bit confused to what has happend :unsure:

No, no special treatment. All the bulbs are mixed in together, odd and normal, and all had exactly the same treatment.

Viettaclark - no, sadly the rest of the bulb isn't completely enclosed because it's the same skin trying to cover the whole lot. It's actually quite a high percentage of the crop that are like this, so just using them first isn't going to save me if they don't store well. I think I'm just going to have to turn them into chopped or lazy garlic.

xx
Slightly nervous now

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 23, 2013, 16:11
by sunshineband
xx
slightly baffling!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 08:36
by starry
xx
A slightly different day on the plot

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 16:55
by New shoot
xx
New Allotment - slightly freeked out!

Started by Loztastic on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 13:11
by Elcie

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 36 queries.