a healthy natural feed

• 13 Replies

craig1981

• Experienced Member
a healthy natural feed
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:56 »
hi folks

im toying with the idea of taking my girlies back to nature intended and feeding them on a diet they would have found in the wild . Im assuming this would involve feeding them all kinds of greens and plants and such but have no idea what they would have access to in the wild and try and cut out layers pellets as much as possible . Im totally prepared for the increase in cost and work involved and decrease in eggs layed  but wondered if you folks could give me ideas on what they could and would eat to keep it as natural and back to nature as possible

many thanks peeps

8doubles

Re: a healthy natural feed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 13:26 »
Unless you have a piece of jungle where they can free range you will not be able to provide a natural environment. :)
But seriously modern hens have been bred to provide eggs and meat and you cannot just switch off years of selective breeding and make them into wild hens.
Their rate of their metabolism will be much different to wild birds and they will suffer if their modern food requirements are not met.
You will find breeds with ancient needs and habits but the average domestic hen will not be able to change back to  wild .

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 15:20 »
Don't know about original jungle fowl, but most chucks will free range for bugs, grubs and greens and will eat far less of the bagged food as a result, but I'd agree with 8doubles that modern productive hens need a backbone of feed to ensure they stay healthy.

Why not try organic feeds - organic mash looks a lot more natural than pellets and chicks that aren't keen on pellets do usually like mash.  My picky lot hate pellets so I was faffing round with mixed corn plus extras, but I've found an organic mash they do seem to enjoy, then they get some corn later on for a bedtime snack  :)

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 20:14 »
Hi Craige, i have bantams and feed them on a mix if grain as like you i wanted a natural as posible diet, (ie not processed). I found the Recipe!! on another site. I feed ratio's of 4 scoops wheat, 2 barley and one corn,with a small amount of cod liver oil added, My birds free rang the garden all morming and are in very large run afternoons unless i am home. They also get greens every day, either spring greens, lettuce etc. and mealy worms a couple of times a week. I also have a bowl of grit and oister shell available to them.
But!! i do think hybrid hens bread for laying will do better on layers pellets. My little girls lay very well are happy and healthy. The more info available to you will help you make an informed choice, as we all want the best for our pets.
All the best and happy info hunting!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 20:54 »
Craig if you want to take a look at this site it has a recipe for a more natural organic feed which you may find helpful:-

http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.html

The mix they give should give you quite a balanced feed  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 23:38 »
thanks for the replys folks . The point of me doing this to answer the first question is quite simply to be as close to nature as possible but in no way effect the girls health negatively . will have a good read of that site joyfull when i can keep my eyes open to do so as im sooooooooo sleepy .

once again many thanks

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:21 »
Just had a look at your link Joy, didnt find that when i was looking, will be geting that book and doing some more reserch i think. Many thanks.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:32 »
I have no idea how good this method of feeding is as mine are fed on organic layers pellets and organic mixed corn, however they do free range all the time from hatching, several roost in trees and some were hatched in the hedgrows (next lot of eggs are somewhere down the bank to the nearby beck - only discovered them by following the broody - hopefully she is on hens eggs and not ducks or crakes  ::)), but this is as close to a natural way of life I want them to be.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 12:12 »
the set up you have joyfull sounds just like what i dream of having yet in my terraced town house with 60ft garden its only a pipe dream at the present time unfortunately :(

however the site is great and i will defo give it a go when the shops open tomorrow and see what happens . Ive so far managed to keep my girls away from chemicals and such which im really proud of but ive been lucky not to have had any vet issues so far and for me getting there diet as natural as possible is something to aim for

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 20:17 »
Sounds like bliss joy, would love to have a bit of land. But like graig my garden doesnt come under the heading of acreage!!! never mind. Dont think my girls would last long with charlie fox and local cats. maybe i should get a nice big orpington to stand guard? Have been looking at all the different ways people feed chickens, facinating subject. I also rang my vet who is sending me some info on grain fed chickens, so will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 21:43 »
Bantymad I don't have acreage the plot my house is on is just over half an acre, a lot of which is taken up with old lorries (think steptoes yard and you are on the right lines  ::) :lol: other half assures me they will get restored one day  :nowink:) but I don't have any neighbours only fields and a beck which my chickens treat as their own. When the farmer sowed the barley seed my chickens all followed the tractor eating up the grains whilst he was sowing it along with the pheasants  :lol:

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:29 »
Haha sounds like my friend who's husband 'collects' old massy fergason tractors to 'renovate', her chickens love them she even had one of her pekins hatch 5 eggs in one of the cabs last year. But it must be lovely to look out on open fields of a morning, I bet it was quite a picture to watch them follow the tractor.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:38 »
I did forget to mention though that one side looks out onto a main A road (there are fields over the other side of that and luckily the chickens haven't seen them) so not quite so idyllic.
Seeing them all in the field eating the grain was funny, I just get a bit anxious though when we have the harvest just in case they end up being baled  :(

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 07:05 »
OOOOH NOOOOO, cant have baled chickens :lol:

xx
natural foods

Started by greenfingers spain on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 18:12
by karlooben
xx
All natural feeding

Started by pippa123 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 12:12
by joyfull
xx
Natural remedies

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 09:43
by jonesblack
xx
Natural chicken wormers

Started by french bob on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 07:50
by french bob

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 38 queries.