New birds being hen pecked

• 4 Replies

evie2

New birds being hen pecked
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:30 »
My new hens have now been put with my original 5 and are being brutality hen pecked :( the 2 bantams hide under the big Blue (something, I've forgotten) and the hen that's doing the bullying is the smallest of the originals (2 x the size of the bantams though, who's comb and wattle haven't developed and she doesn't lay) the originals wont let them leave the nest box never mind the coop! 

They're moving to a bigger run (old veg plot) today and I'm hoping that will work. 

Any advice greatly appreciated
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

PaulineM

Re: New birds being hen pecked
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00 »
Hi
I am pretty new to chicken keeping but I found once I let my chickens free range the pecking decreased rapidly, they still peck the lowest ranking member but only at feed time.  Its very hardto watch tho  :(
Good luck!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

evie2

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46 »
Unfortunately with the fox and badger taking up residence >:( they have to be in a run :(  the veg plot is about 20' x 15'  and their new enclosure is at least twice that :D if it doesn't settle down I'll just have to split it

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 13:06 »
Please don't split them up. They have to sort out the pecking order after a couple off weeks they will all be living in harmony. Have you got room to put in extra feeders and water stations. I find it handy to put in a couple of buckets on its side and then the new girls can escape into. Have some purple spray at hand so that if one gets cut you can cover it up.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 20:03 »
I relented after witnessing a particularity evil bit of bullying >:(  The bantams are tiny so they don't stand a chance and the big Blue who wasn't 100% when e she came to us is in a bad way, they're inside tonight and tomorrow they'll go into their own run :(

sad
hen pecked??

Started by cluckie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:23
by bantam novice
xx
help - hen pecked!!!!!

Started by c3 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:34
by c3
xx
Hen pecked

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 21:56
by barley
xx
hen pecked

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:21
by lucylou

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.