Broody hen

• 5 Replies

le hibou

Broody hen
« on: August 26, 2010, 14:24 »
Hi, my first post here, so hope it's not a silly question!
I have a hen who has been sitting on a clutch of eggs for about 10 days now. I have to lift her off every day to get food, drink and do a poo otherwise she won't move. Last night when she went back in my husband said she had gone in the box next to the one with the eggs in, but I didn't worry too much as I thought she would realise and move. Unfortunately this morning I found her still sitting in the empty box :ohmy:
It was quite a warm night here (we're towards the SW of France) and the eggs are in a straw nest. I have changed her over, but is it too late? Will the eggs have been alright without her, or will they have got too  cold? :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 14:39 »
I had one dopey broody who not only kept sitting in the wrong nest box but also the wrong coop  ::). I just had to keep an eye on her and keep placing her back on the eggs. Hopefully yours will be ok, just make sure she keeps being placed on her eggs until she gets the idea  :)

Oh and welcome to the site  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

le hibou

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 15:01 »
Thanks for the prompt response. Up until last night she has always gone straight back on to her eggs, so not sure what she was thinking yesterday ::)
I'm glad to hear that you think the eggs will still be OK without her (it was about 12 hours); it's a good job it was a warm dry night as well.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 18:59 »
welcome to the site  :).  There is a lot of good advice here.  In my opinion there is no such thing as a stupid question.  Good luck and keep us informed!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

le hibou

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 20:14 »
Well until tonight so far so good. I still have to lift Mrs Jennie out each time otherwise she just will not move as far as I can tell. I have put a water drinker in the shed, but away from her so if she does want some she has to get up and go to it.

Because the other hens and the cockerel started mobbing her when I brought her out in the afternoons I now get her out in the evening after the others go in. It is still light and I leave her to have a walk, eat and poo then let her back in. Unfortunately when I lifted her out tonight one of the eggs came with her and cracked in one place as it hit the ground :(. I immediately put it back in the nest, but on checking it before Mrs Jennie returned it has a little seepage of blood on the crack. I presume this will now be no good as either germs can enter or it has damaged the embryo inside. What should I do? (For the moment I have left it under her). I estimated there are about 4-5 days left before hatching might commence.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 21:08 »
On the egg that cracked, get Clear nail polish or candle wax, and paint over the crack. I cracked an egg and painted it with nail polish. It really works...although maybe not with blood seepage OO. DO IT NOW. GO QUICKLY! The sooner you do it the better

Theres no such thing as a stupid question. :tongue2:. If you don't know, always ask. Better to ask than worry and prehaps do things wrong hey :).

My new broody went into the wrong nest box. I just turfed her out and she went to the correct one :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 37 queries.