Easibed and Hemcore

• 16 Replies

threeranger

Easibed and Hemcore
« on: August 25, 2010, 22:29 »
Hello,

We have a 24x8 ft open air walk-in run. It is not really practical to roof it. It is partially shaded by some trees but still gets plenty of rain, and can take a while to dry out as parts of it don't get much sun.

Given how much rain we have just had, the soil is getting pretty squidgy in there, so I wondered if using these products on the ground would help, or are they better used in covered runs ? Will I just end up with damp easibed/hemcore all the time in an open air one ?

Thanks for your help/experiences, in advance

:)

grumpydad

Re: Easibed and Hemcore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14 »
hemcore should be inside the coop, it is very absorbant, and great for the floor of the coop for the chucks to poop on.

my run is covered but it still gets the rain blown in, easibed if softwood chippings, i have found that they dry quickly, and having a thick layer lets the chucks dig, but it stays quite clean. easier to poop scoop than bark, and far easier to rake over, after the naughty chucks have dug big holes.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 18:34 »
Hi there

I have been using hemcore/easibed in my dry run all over the summer, it has worked out so dry and very absorbant no sign of any mould etc, I asked the same question when I first had my girls and the wiser on here all advised me to use this option over some bark chippings which go mildew and mouldy.

In the coop itself I use horse bedding shavings all dust extracted which I think is more comfy on their chickeny feet than the hemcore.

It is fantastic quality stuff readily available at your local farm merchant, just dont get it from a big brand retail store as they charge over the odds for it.

:D :D  Broody
if wishes were changes.......

threeranger

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 21:54 »
Thanks for your thoughts, we have a local stockist of both so will give them both a try.

It's about £10 for Hemcore and £7.80 for Easibed - so worth trying them both me-thinks.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 23:10 »
I went to get Hemcore today but had to get Bliss instead.  Does anyone have experience of using it?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 16:20 »
Not heard of that Bliss bedding at all, and wow thats expensive in Derbyshire I am sure that last winter we were paying 5.00 a bale of cushionbed which is the same as easibed dust extracted and treated etc etc  just not paying for the name. I keep horses so we had a delivery from the manufacturer one year and that brought the price down even lower so it is worth shopping around your local area to see if any one else is supplying it.

Broody

evie2

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:06 »
It's about £10 for Hemcore and £7.80 for Easibed - so worth trying them both me-thinks.

Bliss was just under £7.00, it's shredded rape stocks but Ali almost caused a riot when he said, 'what are you buying that for, I work on a farm and I get hay free' to which the assistant replied, 'don't say that round here, hay costs a fortune' :ohmy:

I think I'll start a tread on how much are people paying for hay

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 21:39 »
Hay is for eating not bedding and should not be used for chickens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 22:08 »
It's ok they only get it in for eating :lol: I think it was more the cost they were on about :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 17:41 »
Hi jOY

can chickens eat the hay then, i bought some lovely extra special stuff  :D and the breeder told me not to feed it as it may get caught in the gizzard :D??? can you clarify for me please as I am confused  :wacko:

Thank you

:D

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 20:45 »
no they shouldn't eat hay it causes impacted crops. Hay is a feed for horses, cattle etc, but as it obviously has a taste to it chcikens can be tempted to try it which is why we say never use it - plus if it gets damp it can harbour mould spores.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 21:27 »
Oh, I'll only let the rabbits have it :D

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 00:07 »
does that mean that my idea of keeping my next batch of chickens in my hay barn is a bad one?

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 21:00 »
I would be a little weary myself - impacted crop can be fatal, and they could get problems with mould spores but thats just my personal opinion.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 08:35 »
My breeder told me that hay and straw can harbour red mites. Just thought I'd pass it on.

xx
hemcore and easibed

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 23:05
by Yolky
xx
easibed?

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 12:13
by kimT
xx
Can i use easibed in the run,or is it just for in the coop?

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 17:43
by neenyneen
xx
easibed in nesting boxes?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2010, 17:05
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 37 queries.