Rat poison

• 5 Replies

charliegrail

Rat poison
« on: August 25, 2010, 20:37 »
Hi I've had an allotment in Bristol for the last 4 years and have just been told that the council have put rat poison in my compost bin and around the nearby plots. Rubbish has been dumped and left by tenants at the suggestion of our site rep near my plot as there is a parking area on the other half of my plot. The council have not collected the rubbish and so it has attracted rats. Are the council allowed to just put down poison before telling you? What if I hadn't known and then found it? The council have said I am not to move anything until the infestation is gone and someone will check in two months. Therefore all the rubbish is staying put!  Anyone have any knowledge of tenants rights?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Rat poison
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 20:50 »
Sorry, I feel that we are not getting the entire story here.  It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.  The rubbish hasn't been cleared therefore you have rats.  The rubbish can't be cleared before the rats have gone. I'm confused. :wacko:
Cheese makes everything better.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 20:56 »
as a precaution i always make a point of not eating anything out of the compost bin :dry:

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 21:15 »
The council want to kill the rats not move them elsewhere, seems sensible.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 21:25 »
Yes, but their behaviour made the problem in the first place, apparently.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:40 »
Yes, but their behaviour made the problem in the first place, apparently.

Where you get food you get rats and compost heaps are one of their favourite places to live even if there is not a pile of other rubbish nearby, rats in the compost heap is a fairly common thread on here.
The question  do council have the right to put rat bait down on council property before informing you i would say yes having seen baiting stations in many public places.
As long as you were warned that the bait was in place the council are doing the right thing in trying to kill the rats as soon as possible.
It is better to have rat bait down than for you to take Weils Disease home from the allotment.
Whether the pile of rubbish should have been put there by the allotment holders and then cleared by the council is another matter .

xx
I don't want to poison anyone by mistake !

Started by sue4159 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:34
by pumpkinpatch
xx
will rat poison make my veg toxic?

Started by millie C on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 17:52
by gobs

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.