Hydrangea with no flowers

• 8 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Hydrangea with no flowers
« on: August 25, 2010, 14:43 »
Over the past few years I have been gathering a few potted hydrangeas which I leave in sunny spots until they come to flower, then move into shady areas to brighten it up. The flowers seem to last just as long.

This year I have three plants in separate pots, right alongside each other through the winter. The pots are exactly the same and I beieve I treated them all the same.

Two have flowered really well. The third is a big thriving plant but has had no flowers at all and shows no signs of any coming.

Any ideas? If it is past its best I will compost it and move on.

Thanks

Ian
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

Trillium

Re: Hydrangea with no flowers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 14:51 »
Lack of bloom is usually due to one of three reasons. Either it did not get enough sun, an early frost or cold spell killed the flowers buds, or it was pruned at the wrong time.

My money is on one of yours either being pruned at the wrong time or an early frost got the flower buds. The plants may be been treated the same but the non-bloomer could well have sat on the outskirts of a sheltered area and been touched by frost or some poorly timed pruning. You say that the non-bloomer is quite vigorous so this has likely happened - no flowers means a bigger plant for next year.

I wouldn't toss the non-bloomer, but rather, put it somewhere sheltered for wintered where it won't get any frost damage or be too cold and then bring it out next season for an even better show.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 16:17 »
I wouldn't chuck it either. Every so often I give mine a good pruning to keep it under control, but it means I get hardly any flowers the next year.

If it's not in the way, keep it and see what happens.

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 18:12 »
I was going to ask a similar question myself. I've got two hydrangeas in my (north facing) front garden, they've both been there 10 years plus, and up until last year, both had fantastic blooms every year. I prune them back halfway when the flowers die, and then right back after the worst of the frosts (don't know if this is OK, but has always worked for me both on these, and on previous plants). But last year, and this, the one right by the wall of the house - the most sheltered one - hasn't had a single flower. The other one, somewhat away from the house & therefore getting more sun, has been as good as ever, despite the fact that, certainly this year, it took the brunt of the hard frosts & then was covered in snow for ages. Which seems contrary to what your saying? Strange  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 18:16 »
nearer to the house the soil would be drier, perhaps this is what made the difference :unsure:

ex-cavator

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 18:21 »
nearer to the house the soil would be drier, perhaps this is what made the difference :unsure:

I kind've hear what you, and Trillium, are saying, but, why the last two years and never previously?  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 18:43 »
different weather this year ?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 19:20 »
I'd agree with MoS - you had a harder winter this year and the one bush just wasn't as hardy as the others possibly due to a drier spot and got more damage from frost. Sometimes not enough food/feeding can also weaken the plant so try mulching with a bit of compost or rotted manure, water well this fall and see what happens next year.

And BTW, pruning right after flowering is really the best and only time for hydrangeas.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 20:06 »
In the uk, RHS advice is to keep the flower heads on as some frost protection, and to prune just as the buds break in spring.
you have different advice and your winter is worse ::)  :D

xx
hydrangea flowers

Started by noodledoo on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 16:05
by noodledoo
xx
hydrangea

Started by samuria on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2020, 18:50
by samuria
xx
Hydrangea

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2023, 21:31
by Subversive_plot
clip
Hydrangea

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2019, 11:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 37 queries.