feeder abd drinker sizes

• 31 Replies

hillfooter

Re: feeder and drinker sizes
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 15:43 »
Although the red does fade a bit with time, like Joy says the plastic is a superior grade to the cheapo ones, and is more pliable.  I will ask the manufacturers about the UV resistance.

The green and white ones I have weren't cheap, but were still from China and do crack after a couple of years.  I've bought the very cheap economy yellow and white ones and they are terrible.

I like these bigger 12 litre drinkers because in the summer water can evaporate and the chickens drink more!  I like to know they have plenty of water.  The legs raise it up 3 inches from the ground so helps stop contamination, and not once since being used has one been tipped over.

also when they have been filled, because of the design, you get very little spillage when you tip them up the right way.

I agree that with the feeder having its rainhat on you can't hang it up,.  You could drill a hole in the top for a hook, but the water would seep into the feed anyway.  As some of you know, most of our feeders are kept inside, but that is my personal preference.  I do not have a rat problem inside the houses, just sometimes outside!

I've just spoken with the manufacturers as they are a BRITISH company  :D and they said yes, the red is the most susceptible colour to UV rays, but these ones do have more UV stabilisers in them than other colours.  They've been in touch with their head office and they are going to try to send me a copy of the chart, so if they do I can perhaps provide you with more info on that subject.

Thanks Grannie that's useful.  I find it difficult to recommend a decent drinker particularly since the cheap ones are simply dreadful and the metal ones I've seen are expensive and more difficult to clean than plastic.  Though maybe there are zinc plated ones which are better as Wild Pony's post.  I

I do however prefer plastic from the cleaning perspective and ease of seeing when they need filling from outside the run.  I found the Green & White BUCKET types the best compromise between ease of cleaning, cost and performance/ durability.   They are the best of a bad bunch I've used though I'm far from happy with them as the legs tend to splay and are useless if telescopically extended as they are supposed to be, which is probably why they get tipped over sometimes.  There are green and white mushroom shaped ones which are just as dreadful from the brittle perspective as the cheap red ones (problem is they never identify the manufacturer so you can't reference) so you need to be careful what you get. 

Maybe I'll try the ones Grannie uses next time I buy one though 12 litres is too much for my needs though the weight will probably mean they aren't tipped over easily.

Looks like there's a gap in the market for a well designed one which doesn't break the bank.

Just another tip on translucent plastic drinkers.  it's a good idea to make an opaque polythene sleeve (heavy duty damproof membrane is good) to slip over them which stops algae in the summer and keeps the water cool (white or silver colour is best for this) and in winter gives some protection from freezing (black is best to absorb what heat there is in the sun).  Tape it together with duct tape.

Regards
HF
Truth through science.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: feeder abd drinker sizes
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 15:52 »
Part of the problem re prices HF is the P&P costs.  I can send up to 15kg of goods for next day delivery for £10.50 boxed, or up to 5kg in a courier bag for £6.  But if I said I would be sending out 1,000 packages a month, I could get it much cheaper!  (I wish!! lol)

I wish this subject had come up before we saw you last Saturday, I could have brought one with me to show you.  I like the idea that these aren't too expensive and they are British made, conforming to ISO 9001:2000 standards

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 00:28 »
Part of the problem re prices HF is the P&P costs.  I can send up to 15kg of goods for next day delivery for £10.50 boxed, or up to 5kg in a courier bag for £6.  But if I said I would be sending out 1,000 packages a month, I could get it much cheaper!  (I wish!! lol)

I wish this subject had come up before we saw you last Saturday, I could have brought one with me to show you.  I like the idea that these aren't too expensive and they are British made, conforming to ISO 9001:2000 standards

Oh well that's life.  Let me know who makes them and next time I need one Ill give them a try.   I might get one for the turkeys when they go out though I was planning to use the auto drinker I used for the pigs.  I will probably need a substancial feeder though can't see the 3kg one I'm currently using doing them once they grow up a bit.

They are doing well by the way.  Very active and a lot more flighty than chickens.
Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:37 by hillfooter »

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 00:58 »
Why not see what your local feed merchant sells? for the few extra pounds it's worth building a relationship with a good local supplier, who may also be able to give tips and advice when needed

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 02:33 »
Why not see what your local feed merchant sells? for the few extra pounds it's worth building a relationship with a good local supplier, who may also be able to give tips and advice when needed

I know what my two local suppliers sell it's where I bought my current feeders and drinkers from.

The problem with pretty much every small retail outlet these days they just buy their stock from the wholesaler without really knowing anything about the products.  Really knowledgeable retailers who understand anything about quality assurance and the products they sell are almost non existant these days.  Unfortunately my relationship with my feed merchant doesn't extend to discussing the UV susceptibility of the feeders on her shelf.  If it didn't tell her on the box she wouldn't understand what i was talking about.  I'm not having a go at women here it just so happens both our local feed merchants are women and I doubt if a man would be any better.

I recently saw some aromatic incense oil (not at the feed merchants) intended for a burner which was also being sold.  I thought about buying it for some oil lamps we had but the details on the box didn't answer the question whether it was suitable or not for an oil burner.  So I asked the shop keeper who was a man in this case.  He picked up the box and read it to me irrespective of the fact it didn't answer my question, as if he thought I couldn't read!
HF

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50 »
right then, bit of an overload of information ??? but i think im going to go for 2 6ltr drinkers and 2 6kg feeders incase any are knocked over and to stop fighting etc i have seen this feeder http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5KG-GALVANISED-POULTRY-FEEDER-RAINSHIELD-CHICKEN-HEN-/300405574384?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry     but am not sure on a drinker still. :wacko:

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 10:56 »
think this one looks ok as its from the same seller to reduce on postage! i know its red but they dont do any in green and i wanted to avoid a metal drinker as i cant use apple cider vinegar with it!  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-LITRE-HEAVY-DUTY-POULTRY-DRINKER-HEN-CHICKEN-/300370080146?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry     what do people think?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 14:45 »
The drinker is made by the same company who manufactured the ones I have (12 litre version of this), British made and very good quality plastic - not at all brittle  :). I had one of those feeders though and my girls didn't like it, I have ones called Blenheim and my birds love it but when Grannie Annie tried it with hers they didn't like it  ::) :lol:
This is the feeders I have:-

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Blenheim-Outdoor-Poultry-Feeder-6-kg-PY419.html
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 17:00 »
Not wishing to put you off, but I have 2 of those galvanised feeders and the edge can be a bit sharp.  rocky cut his wattles on that one once, and it isn't easy to regulate the amount of feed, its either too high or too low!

You could actually buy 2 of the 12k feeders for that price!  Unfortunately the manufacturers don't do a 6 kg feeder in the same style.

Hillfooter, I could tell you the name of the manufacturer, but they only sell them in boxes of 10!

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 17:39 »
oh i dont no what to get now!  :wacko:  i wont be needing any rain hats anymore as i have got part of the run which is sheltered so can put the feeders there!

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 19:48 »
oh i dont no what to get now!  :wacko:  i wont be needing any rain hats anymore as i have got part of the run which is sheltered so can put the feeders there!

I think put ing the feeder under cover is a sound move rather than a rain hat.  Regency also sell the feeder I use which I'm pretty happy with which is,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6kg-POULTRY-FEEDER-CHICKEN-HEN-HATCHING-EGGS-QUAIL-/300340245514?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry.

As you won't be using a hat this would be OK.  I also use the matching drinker which I'm not so happy about as the legs are a bit iffy and colapse if you use them fully extended.  I like the look of the drinker in the offer but they don't seem to sell it on it's own.  The 6litre heavy duty one looks the best bet and stand it on bricks.  The cheaper red drinkers and feeders are the ones which go brittle.
HF

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 23:51 »
Sorry we are confusing you Massa!

Now then, in my run where I have 17 pure bred pullets, I have at the moment 1 of the 12 litre red and white drinkers, 1 12kgs feeder and a half height bucket that I got for £1 in our local el cheapo shop.

I would love to sell you what you want, but we are not allowed to sell on here and I can't match the bigger companies for their P&P costs, but if you like the idea of the 2 6 litre heavy duty drinkers like this one!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-LITRE-HEAVY-DUTY-POULTRY-DRINKER-HEN-CHICKEN-/300370080146?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry

They are good and strong!

If you bought 2 of the 6 litre drinkers, 1 12kg feeder with their maximum P&P of £7.95, that would come to £29.92.  The feet are good, but they charge £2.50 per set, which is a bit much, but the postage would still be £7.95, so the total would be £37.42

Does that help?

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 03:43 »
The problem with pretty much every small retail outlet these days they just buy their stock from the wholesaler without really knowing anything about the products.  Really knowledgeable retailers who understand anything about quality assurance and the products they sell are almost non existant these days.  Unfortunately my relationship with my feed merchant doesn't extend to discussing the UV susceptibility of the feeders on her shelf.  If it didn't tell her on the box she wouldn't understand what i was talking about.  I'm not having a go at women here it just so happens both our local feed merchants are women and I doubt if a man would be any better. retailers who understand anything about quality assurance and the products they sell are almost non existant these days.  Unfortunately my relationship with my feed merchant doesn't extend to discussing the UV susceptibility of the feeders on her shelf.  If it didn't tell her on the box she wouldn't understand what i was talking about.  I'm not having a go at women here it just so happens both our local feed merchants are women and I doubt if a man would be any better.
Maybe we are luckier than we know round here, we have 3 feed merchant and all of them are very helpfull and know their stuff, though as you say they are unlikley to know the UV properties of every item. I was given a galv. waterer some years ago which is OK, if a bit much for my gang, a plastic waterer cracked with the ice so we stuck a VERY large old pickle jar in, - must watch for frosts though :ohmy:
But surely if a plastic waterer is in the shade, it should last longer than if in full sun? (As well as not being affected by algae)

Sassy

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47 »
The green and white feeders mentioned by Hillfooter have lasted me 7 years and one has only just broken because it got blown off a table and cracked on the flags - probably because it was a little brittle but it would still have been fine if it hadn't dropped!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 22:00 »
right then just placed my order! i have ordered two of the 6 ltr drinkers, one of the green and white feeders hillfooter recomended and one of the blenheim feeders that joyfull uses then i can see how i get along with them and which i prefer!

xx
what size feeder and drinker?

Started by bockhamptoners on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 09:27
by Fifitrix
xx
Feeder & drinker & what to do with grit?

Started by rcf100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 13:04
by rcf100
xx
What size feeder & drinker?

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:30
by Sassy
xx
Drinker & Feeder Advice Please

Started by Harmonic on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 22:09
by Squibbs

Page created in 0.952 seconds with 38 queries.