Still Having Problems With Courgettes

• 12 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Still Having Problems With Courgettes
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:58 »
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my courgettes which wernt producing and the basic consensous seemed to be i needed to feed them like crazy, well two weeks on and im feeding once a week with tomato feed, quite a strong dose and they still arnt doing anything.

5 plants and i've had one courgette in 2 weeks whats that all about??   >:(  infact since they've been growing i think i've only had about 10 courgettes in total i expected to be drowning in courgettes and they arn't living up to thier end of the bargin at all.

The largers leaves look like they are suffering from abit of mildew as they have gone white and brittle but the newer leaves seem to be coming though fine, i've sprayed them with abit of copper sulphate but it doens't seem to have helped any idea's?

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Still Having Problems With Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06 »
Try brushing the leaves with milk - can't remember the science, but it's supposed to help.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30 »
Try brushing the leaves with milk - can't remember the science

Combats Mildew I think ? Normally mine get white, Mildew-y leaves towards the end for the season (can't remember when, but it hasn't happened yet ... Sahara June and July but more Monsoon-like August here ...)

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:14 »
maybe it's the variety? - the Floridor & Jemmer (both yellow courgettes) are incredulously prolific and keeping me well supplied and more, but the Zucchini have been pretty poor.  Out of 3 Zucchini plants, I've only harvested a total of 10 courgettes, and only 1 in the past 2 weeks.  All the plants are very healthy (no powdery mildew) and there have been plenty of flowers.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27 »
I have only had about 10 courgettes from 3 plants.  Mine have been getting fed once a week with tomato food but they are covered in mildew and I assume that is the problem.  Marking it up to experience and will try again next year.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 16:13 »
Mine are coming to the end now and, although we haven't been short of courgettes, it hasn't been as productive a season as usual. I put it down to the extremes of weather - late cold spring, very hot early summer, cool wet mid summer. Poor plants don't know what's going on!  :blink:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 17:51 »
Yes, I've found the same this year. Okay, but nowhere near as many as last year.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 19:58 »
Dont want to sound like I'm rubbing salt into the wound but ours have broken all records.....never seen so many courgettes and still going strong. Variety...T/M defender....4 plants ,each on a mound with 2 sacks of well rotted horse do-da mixed with the soil under each,and lots of water.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 20:21 »
This year I have grown one plant of Fothergills All Green Bush courgette which is average to say the least. The other three plants are Seeds of Italy Romanesco. They are like triffids  :) Going absolutely mad and producing far more than I can keep up with. Each one grown on a mound with a large spadeful of home made compost underneath. Watered a lot when young, but not since, and not fed at all. Luckily my daughter is visiting this weekend so I can load her car up when she isn't looking  :lol:
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 21:26 »
Mine did have a week or sos break in fruiting, but I carried on feeding them when I did the tomatoes and cues and they have started again. Just have to remove some mildewy leaves now and again, but with this much rain about it's not worth trying to spray them with anything :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 21:31 »
This year I have grown one plant of Fothergills All Green Bush courgette which is average to say the least. The other three plants are Seeds of Italy Romanesco. They are like triffids  :) Going absolutely mad and producing far more than I can keep up with. Each one grown on a mound with a large spadeful of home made compost underneath. Watered a lot when young, but not since, and not fed at all. Luckily my daughter is visiting this weekend so I can load her car up when she isn't looking  :lol:

I've tried a few Italian seeds this year, not from Seeds of Italy but Italian varieties from T&M, and they've all been outstanding. I did Italian tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and sweet pepper, and all have been very big, tough, productive plants. I've had problems with outdoor cucumbers before, but these have been absolute triffids and stuffed with fruit. So I guess next year I'll give their courgettes a go as well.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 21:52 »
My 3 Courgette plants were going great till a couple of days ago , two of them now are only producing the male flowers ... the leaves started going white on these two also , but the 3rd plant is still nice and green still producing the females .

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 22:04 »
I only have the one plant and have had a steady supply of courgettes - nothing major, but just enough to keep the two of us going. Got a bit of a glut going on now though as I have been away for a week and OH hasn't done any veg picking!!! Hmmmm.......

xx
Pea problems

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 16:47
by dig4victory
xx
Pea Problems

Started by ruth82 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 19:30
by yummy
xx
pot problems

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:00
by chris23005
xx
Pea problems

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 13:08
by gobs

Page created in 1.099 seconds with 38 queries.