And then there was the committee

• 19 Replies

Guzzik

Re: And then there was the committee
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 16:48 »

I took a turn on our committee last year and i came out of it more convinced of the above than before.

I did a year as compitition secretary in a new air rifle/pistol club in Cumbernauld near Glasgow in Scotland waaaaaaaaaaaay back around 1977.  After that year I swore I would NEVER become a committee member of anything ever again.  The club secretary thought it was his and only his right to spend money, take over other committee members jobs, foul mouth the rest of us at comps, organise a comp and NOT tell ME the comp secretary...............Hmmmmmmm, not a nice year.

I agree with our mod saying not to tar ALL committee members with the same brush, most are fab, it is, as usual, just the few duffers that cause the problems
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 17:54 »
I have nothing but praise for our hard working committee (NO I'm not on it or related to any of them)
Two years ago the allotments were in a sorry state but the committee members put in many many hours clearing paths, organising communal areas, obtaining funding for a site meeting room and composting toilet, processing seed orders and general ongoing maintenance in addition to attending meetings and managing the waiting list.
Many of the plot holders who criticise them can't even give up an hour once a month to join the 'working party' mowing paths and clearing rubbish.
In my opinion if you are not willing to take a turn on the committee, or at least volunteer to help with whole site maintenance tasks you have no right to complain about the way things are run.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 18:09 »
I have nothing but praise for our hard working committee (NO I'm not on it or related to any of them)
Two years ago the allotments were in a sorry state but the committee members put in many many hours clearing paths, organising communal areas, obtaining funding for a site meeting room and composting toilet, processing seed orders and general ongoing maintenance in addition to attending meetings and managing the waiting list.
Many of the plot holders who criticise them can't even give up an hour once a month to join the 'working party' mowing paths and clearing rubbish.
In my opinion if you are not willing to take a turn on the committee, or at least volunteer to help with whole site maintenance tasks you have no right to complain about the way things are run.

It's much the same on our site. If it wasn't for the same few people, we wouldn't have an association, security fencing, mains water with taps every few plots, a toilet, a log cabin, seed store, wildlife garden, and now a polytunnel for disabled and older gardeners is being built. The amount of grief these people get is unbelievable though  ::)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 18:24 »
Back to Christine's question... Calendulas, violets and nasturtiums are all edible and look great in salads (and borders...). Also, you could consider chamomile; you can't eat it but it'll make a great herbal tea.

mower man

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 19:50 »
Thank you very much  Missycat

your reply is 100% spot on

it is nice to know other people do care  xx
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

xx
Your Allotment Committee

Started by digital_biscuit on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 15:13
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Something for the committee members out there: A "free" helping hand.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 09:33
by mike1987

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 28 queries.