bewildered now!!

• 15 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
bewildered now!!
« on: August 22, 2010, 21:44 »
still umming and arring about houses and runs, enclosures etc. Went to a small holding fair today. Have consequently received conflicting advice. What I really want to do is have arun approx 9ft x 12ft with free standing coop inside. Was told in no uncertain terms bad bad idea due to chickens wrecking the ground in next to no time, we are only planning on 3 and I was thinking of having a deep layer of wood chippings. Advised to have a moveable ark. Well it looked far too small for 3 chickens to be in all the time, was told NOT to let them out as it is cruel unless they can be out all the time! I could move an ark about but not often enough to let the grass grow under it and anyway as I said I felt it was too small, approx 6/7ft x 3ft.

Not sure what to do now, advice would be gratefully received

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: bewildered now!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 21:51 »
Really the run size you are suggesting is only 4 sq yds which would be even less when you put you coop in and the feeder and drinker. If chickens are to be in a perminant run they need a minimum of 1 square yard/meter clear space per bird and ideally far more than that - 2-3 square metres per bird. This will then let them have plenty of space to have logs, perches, dust baths etc. Can you not have your coop attached to the side/end of the run?
The arks with runs attached are meant to be moved onto fresh gound every couple of days so they have plenty of fresh grass.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 22:00 »
I can go for that option joyful and run could go to12 x 10, my question was really about the floor issue. re. the arks, I understand that they are meant to be moved about but  they offer far less space per hen than is recommended

threeranger

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 22:59 »
Hi Debsie,

Any chance of a pic of the proposed area, and what is your budget ?

if you don't mind me asking  ;)

Threeranger

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 00:48 »
Really the run size you are suggesting is only 4 sq yds which would be even less when you put you coop in and the feeder and drinker. If chickens are to be in a perminant run they need a minimum of 1 square yard/meter clear space per bird and ideally far more than that - 2-3 square metres per bird. This will then let them have plenty of space to have logs, perches, dust baths etc. Can you not have your coop attached to the side/end of the run?
The arks with runs attached are meant to be moved onto fresh gound every couple of days so they have plenty of fresh grass.

I think you'll find 9x12ft is 12sq yards Joy which would be fine for 3 or 4 chx and if you allowed them to free range when you were around that would be fine for maybe 6 or more.  So I'd go for the fixed run with wood chips or other forest mulch base, bark is ok too but remember all these will need periodic raking cleaning and regular sanitising.  The problem with allowing them out is getting them back in if you have to go out however if you have the space and the garden is fenced so they won't stray it's a shame not to use it.  I don't think this is cruel at all.  

Movable arks are fine if you have lots of space to move them to at regular (every couple of days) intervals so your grass recovers before you have to reuse.  You probably need at least 6 sites.   Both options are viable.
HF
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:54 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47 »
doh! cause it is - middle aged brain on the blink again  ::) :lol:

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:56 »
Why not raise the coop so they can use the area underneath?

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19 »
Why not raise the coop so they can use the area underneath?

This would also prevent rats under the coop. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 14:57 »
Hi there! mine are in an enclosed run for the morning and I let them out in the afternoon when I get back from work, they arn't suffering for it, make sure they have hanging greens and cd to peck at they will be fine, even when mine are let out they spend alot of the time sunbathing and lounging around!! :)

daisy1990

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 18:30 »
we had similar issues as we bought a coop/run said to be big enough for 6.  We bought three hens as I wasn't convinced it was big enough and then immediately felt sorry for them as they looked like caged birds.  We have ended up with an electric fenced area (easy to erect and moveable) which also gives us peace of mind when we are out and leave our girls (and rabbits which is another story!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 21:35 »
Thanks for advice, been out at work all day so only just had chance to read replies. Think I really would like to have a fixed enclosure with deep base of chippings that we can rake over regularly. Do not really have enough options to move ark about enough to let ground recover.

Planning on letting them out when I get home from work and weekends. Have seen an enclosure with onduline roof that I think seems like a good idea.

Three ranger -  will post pics if I can, budget about £500 for house and enclosure/run

threeranger

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 22:26 »
Would you be looking for a ready made run, or build something yourself project ?

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:31 »
think building ourselves is a no no, put it this way we have doors in our house that  have needed varnishing for 6 years now, lovely pan rack for kithen purchased 8 months ago, still waiting to be hung up!!!! get the picture!! Have found someone who will make one to our ind specifications or we will buy ready made one, what set up have you got?

jertzee

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23 »
I would go for the stand alone coop within the 9x12 area, with the wood chip /bark flooring.

I wanted to do almost exactly the same as my space for the coop and run is 9 x 8 -my issue is I am rubbish at DIY otherwise I would have built the surround (We would need a roof due to the massive fox problem we have). All that was too much so we bought a coop with a run attached instead.

Doing my research many people don't worry about the state of the grass/floor and just put down wood chips, or ensure the soil etc is clean and regularly disinfected etc etc.
Indeed some of the people I have seen with many chickens have a mix, or even just soil and the chooks look happy.

As for the space I am always surprised by how many chooks can get into a coop and be happy - and I mean propperly and not overcrowded, and the remaining space may be close to the 1sqm for each bird but I think they will be more than happy, especially of you can let them out each day.

The main thing to consider is keeping them dry outside of the coop and it may be good to cover the area at least partially. My run has no cover but you can by pvc or clear tarpauline fairly cheaply.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31 »
thanks Jertzee, feeling a bit happier about things now, it will be lovely to have them in a run that I can go into, thinking of putting branches etc in for them to perch on, will def have some sort of roof and coop will be raised off the ground.

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 38 queries.