Aubergines

• 10 Replies

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
Aubergines
« on: August 22, 2010, 20:07 »
I am growing three aubergine plants in my greenhouse and they have all flowered well, but the flowers just rot and die off. I have had no aubergines at all this year. I also have tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers and chillies all growing really well in the same greenhouse. What am I doing wrong?

GG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 20:18 »
perhaps they are not getting pollinated, use a soft brush to move pollen from one flower to another.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 20:22 »
Hi, did you pinch out the top of the plant when it was about 18 inches high to encourage it to bush out? and once you had three or four fruit sets did you remove the additional side shoots? Oh.. and what did you feed them on?

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 20:33 »
what should you feed them on? mine get the same as tomatoes and are not fruiting well

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 20:42 »
what should you feed them on? mine get the same as tomatoes and are not fruiting well
When the second or third fruit has set, they should be fed with a high potash feed once a week, any feed suitable for tomatoes, roses or chrysanthemums will do, they should also be watered twice a day as they are very thirsty plants.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 23:51 »
From my experience, growing similar plants at the same time in a g'house, aubergines need more space per plant  so they get more light/sun, keep away from door or vents as they dont like draughts/ temp changes

hope this helps

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47 »
From my experience, growing similar plants at the same time in a g'house, aubergines need more space per plant  so they get more light/sun, keep away from door or vents as they dont like draughts/ temp changes

hope this helps
thanks sutty, that identifies  the areas i have been going wrong, mine are overshadowed by tomato plants and next to the door. Oh well better luck next year. ::) 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 21:00 »
No idea if I'm doing it right, but I have a reasonable crop :)

Mine are in a row between Tomato plants (along the central path) and melons (climbing the glass sides), so they don't get a huge amount of light, but they do have a reasonable amount of space - there is about 3- - 4' between Tomato row and Melon row, and about 2' between Aubergines in their row.

They are at the far end, away from the door, so no draughts and a bit more humidity.

They are planted in the border, not pots / bags, and are watered twice a week - about 1/2 gallon per plant.

I don't pinch them out (but I would if they didn't branch by themselves, same for Sweet Peppers, but I can't remember having to pinch them out either). I feed them with liquid Tomato fertilizer - which goes on the Sweet Peppers, Melons, Tomatoes and Cucumbers too. I don't pollinate mine (not enough time), but I think it would help.

Variety is Black Enorma, which fruits early, and Black Beauty which comes later but has softer , tastier,  fruit IMHO.

Around the beginning of August I look out for mottling on the leaves which generally signals the arrival of Aphids, and I spray them (soapy water if not too bad, this year I had to spray them with some noxious chemical)

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 21:07 »
kristen, i want your greenhouse :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 21:09 »
sorry...you'll just have to join the queue  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14 »
No need to queue ... help yourself to one on eBay - as I did ;)

xx
Aubergines

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post May 20, 2017, 09:30
by mumofstig
xx
aubergines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 17:00
by smc
xx
Aubergines

Started by Wild Pony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 23:17
by BigPaddy
wireless
aubergines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 06:43
by Benandbill

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 38 queries.