what's the secret of big onions?

• 18 Replies

Snoop

Re: what's the secret of big onions?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 17:00 »
I've been doing a bit of checking on the difference between the early and late Valencianas.

The early ones are whoppers. My biggest so far this year is 1124 g, a stripling in comparison with the 1541 g record from last year. I don't do anything special - no pipes, drip systems, fancy composts, etc. I just grow them in the ground and water from a watering can. However, they won't last much more than a few months, even if you store them in good, dry conditions

The late ones are still a fair size. I grew these last year and most were around 400 to 500 g apiece. They lasted for absolutely ages, well into April and May if you store them right.

Shokky, I have to say thanks to you for raising this question. It turns out that last year I grew both early and late Valencianas, but didn't know the name of late ones (both lots bought as plants). This year I've grown early Valencianas and some other type for winter storage onion and they're nowhere near as good (bought as plants on a recommendation). I can see them rotting quite quickly, meaning I've got about 100 kg of onions to use up between now and Christmas or thereabouts! Thanks to you and your question, I won't be making the same mistake again.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 18:59 »
Thanks for all that info, Snoop. I might give these a go next year, they do look like beautiful onions. If I do half of each, lates and earlies, I can eat the earlies first and keep the lates for storage. I'll give them plenty of ancient horse manure and water, and cross my fingers for some monster onions.

Just one question - how well will they stand up to any late cold snaps in springtime? Do I need to rush out with fleece if a cold night is forecast?

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 06:40 »
I imagine they'll stand up to frost pretty well. I plant them out as young plants in late April, in theory after the frosts. But this year we had a few nights of frost in May and they survived OK.

When is your last frost in Swindon?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15 »
I imagine they'll stand up to frost pretty well. I plant them out as young plants in late April, in theory after the frosts. But this year we had a few nights of frost in May and they survived OK.

When is your last frost in Swindon?

According to that frost dates website it's early May. Most years that's about right, though this year we did have a particularly cold spring, and I lost a lot of tender seedlings even on a windowsill in the house. So that doesn't really seem too dissimilar to you.

xx
What's the secret with spring onions?

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 22:23
by DD.
xx
Pak Choi secret??

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 07:46
by Swing Swang
sad
Pricking off secret?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 10:01
by Goldfinger
xx
whats the secret ?

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 17:55
by DD.

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 36 queries.