Newbie - dividing garden/fixed run

• 5 Replies

emmaellis

Newbie - dividing garden/fixed run
« on: August 21, 2010, 16:05 »
Hi All,

My coop came with a 2x1m run which I know is way too small for 3 hens, which is why they have free range of the garden (already trashed by our free ranging rabbit anyway).
I am loathed to leave them out all day when I return to work so am thinking of either dividing the garden (or constucting a larger fixed run).
My garden is approx 6x8m, surrounded by tall solid fencing and I would happily give over the majority to the animals, leaving the patio and room for a few pots/small veggie plot for me.
Does anyone have any ideas/pics of how i could do this and still make the garden look like a garden as opposed to a farm?  ???

Thank-you!

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie - dividing garden/fixed run
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 17:12 »
Hi Emma,

I too had the same problem. Here is a link to my post with pictures - before and after and what other people suggested. I have three hybrids and they are very happy now. I let them out when I am there, otherwise they pretty mych stay in their new run.
Why not post a picture of what your coop looks like and people may have some other suggestions. I hope it helps.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63326.0

Alan
Alan

emmaellis

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 18:26 »
Thanks Alan.

I'll be spending the next few days drawing up some plans then hijacking my brother in law for man power (and the contents of his tool shed)!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 18:34 »
That's a very good idea! I look forward to seeing the end results  :-)

garycogburn

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 19:53 »
hi Emma. I used a company called chirpy cooops. they have a web site. i ordered a number of 6ft x 3ft mesh panels, and 3 with doors. once i had fixed these together, it houses my chickens on the left, the rabbits in the middle, and the ducks on the right!! i found it was cheaper and easier to have these panels, then put my houses inside the enclosure. that way, thay are safe all hours, and at night, if you are out, or late getting home, you know they will be ok. i put plastic clear corrugated sheets on top for a roof. you can always utilise these into different shapes and sizes, dont think square all the time, you could have a large low run across the back of the garden which incorporates the fencing, and put the house in one corner. the beauty of chickens is they always go in at night, so no need to chase them in. have fun.

emmaellis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 23:41 »
Thanks, will check them out  :)

xx
Greetings from the garden.....newbie here...advice on poop....

Started by brick22 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 06:20
by sneezer
xx
fixed pens

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 08:37
by Oakdalebirds
xx
Fixed run management

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 13:02
by Jacinta
xx
Yay I fixed my chicken!

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:25
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.