cockerel

• 2 Replies

T C

• Experienced Member
cockerel
« on: August 20, 2010, 23:45 »
HI TWO WEEKS AGO TODAY I RESCUED A cockerel FORM A DOG ATTACK, IT WAS A NEIGHBOURS DOG, AND FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER THE DOG USED THE POOR THING AS A PLAY THING ALL DAY, WHEN I RESCUED THE POOR THING IT WAS ALMOST DEAD, I PUT IT IN THE PEN INSIDE MY HEN HOUSE TO RECOVER,ALTHOUGH I DIDNT HOLD OUT MUCH HOPE, IT WAS DAMAGED ON THE BACK AND WAS PLUCKED BARE, 3 DAYS LATER HE WAS UP ON HIS FEET AND STARTED CROWING, HE HAS GROWN FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH HIS BACK IS HEALING AND NEW FEATHERS GROWING, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE HE HAS COME FROM, OR WHAT I WILL DO WITH HIM, HE IS NOW WAKEING ME UP AT 4AM ,I ALSO DONT FANCY HIM RUNNING ALONG SIDE THE GIRLS DONT THINK ID LIKE THE EGGS, ALSO NOT SURE HOW THEY WOULD TAKE TO A NEW LODGER, THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN GOOD WITH NEW HENS I HAD TO BUILD A NEW HOUSE FOR MY NEW BATCH, IF WE BUILD HIM HIS OWN HOUSE AND PEN WOULD THIS BE FAIR BEING NEXT TO HENS BUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET TO THEM, I THINK HE HAS BEEN TO HELL AND BACK I WOULDNT WANT HIM TO SUFFER ANY MORE THANKS TINA
T C TOP CAT

Sassy

Re: cockerel
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 17:11 »
Well done for rescuing him. You could build him up with a view to eating him but I know that is not everyones cup of tea. Not sure why you wouldn't fancy the eggs they don't look or taste any different. Introducing a cockerel to hens is not usually a problem. I don't feel it would be very fair to run him alongside the girls. You could try to re-home him but I would think the Spanish are less sqeamish than us about culling for the table. So it is up to you. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

T C

• Experienced Member
Re: cockerel
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 22:06 »
Hi i was thinking he might not be happy not being able to get in with the hens, to kill him would be out of the question, my house is full of rescue animals, but i went to buy a sack of horse feed today and i have struck lucky, the feed merchant has a farm the hens are free range and he said the rooster can go and live with his girls, i will keep him another week so that his feathers have grown back then he can go, so a happy ending i think tina

xx
ill cockerel

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:54
by andyoak
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders
xx
cockerel or not?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:06
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 36 queries.