Its about time.. tomatoewise that is

• 7 Replies

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
Its about time.. tomatoewise that is
« on: August 20, 2010, 16:39 »
Ive been growing tomatoes since i had a greenhouse put at the top of my back garden.
all the times ive grown them they've all behaved well for me and went ripe when i wanted them.

But this year they've taken absoulutley ages to turn.

So i cut a number of fairly good sized ones off and put them on top of a seed module tray to go red, i also tried putting bananas under the plants in the border to.

The ones on the trays eventualy went red and the banana method has started to work aswell and have now got some real nice toms to put in sandwiches and spagbols :D

Have you all had the same problem or is it just were i live. also, how have you all got on with your toms this year then. heres some pics...

Green toms 001.jpg
Green toms 002.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 19:57 by green finger »

diggerjoe

Re: Its about time
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 16:52 »
After readinf DD put a banana in the greenhouse  I have done the same as they all seem reluctant to change colour. Only about 7 small one ahve ripened outside and none in greenhouse yet - but I will wait and wait and wait then its chutney!!!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 17:35 »
Mine did ripen in early July but the plants were bought-in ones from a reputable nursery instead of starting them off myself. I won't do that again. My G. Delight were a dismal failure unlike other years, but I had great success with Vanessa - lovely tomato taste and my OH made a stonking chutney from them. We eat very little in salads as they were rather thick-skinned this year. I wonder if it was the rather hot spell early on that did it?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 17:47 »
Last year mine took ages to ripen in the greenhouse, though I did start them off outside (before I got my greenhouse).  This year by contrast I was picking ripe tomatoes at the end of June inside, and the middle of July outside.  That must be the earliest ever.  I'm not sure why - maybe it has something to do with the variety?  Last year I had a lot of San Marzano plum tomatoes and they took absolutely ages to ripen.  This year the bush tomatoes (Vilma) were the first, followed by the Gardener's Delight, then the Cuor de Bue.  They have all been fantastic but a lot of the Cuor de Bue had blossom end rot. 

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 19:49 »
The varieties i grew this year were shirley and alisa craig. Well with the shirley i had them given to me of someone when they were about 6-7inchs tall and planted them in the
greenhouse border, not sure if thats got anything to do with it though as my
alisa craig i grew from seed seemed slighty quicker to ripen but not much.

Taste wise though the shirleys taste nice but have a thick skin on them.

havent tried the alisa craig yet so im hoping they wont be the same  :)      

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: Its about time.. tomatoewise that is
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 23:11 »
Some varieties have thicker skins than others, but it can also be caused by hot summers - the tomato grows a thicker skin as a defence against the sun.  It might be hard to remember now  :), but it was very hot in June and early July and that is probably the reason.  I was only thinking today how mine have tougher skins than usual, although they taste great.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 23:49 »
Mine are all outside and today I picked the first ripe ones!  :D   About a month later than last years bad summer.   ??? Gardeners Delight are the ones that are turning.  The italians arent even thinking about it.   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09 »
Some varieties have thicker skins than others, but it can also be caused by hot summers - the tomato grows a thicker skin as a defence against the sun.  It might be hard to remember now  :), but it was very hot in June and early July and that is probably the reason.  I was only thinking today how mine have tougher skins than usual, although they taste great.

cheers :)  i never knew that. 

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
It's time

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:25
by Mattgregory27
xx
Time

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 11:00
by gregmcalister
xx
second time around

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 22:09
by 10dahlia

Page created in 1.074 seconds with 36 queries.