Next time

• 49 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: Next time
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42 »
My peppers have just started to ripen in the last week and one of the jalapenos is now a perfect shiny red.  The Sweet Romanos (long and pointy) and California Wonder (box pepper) are not far behind and even the couple growing outside are at the same stage.  All the other greenhouse stuff has been ripe for weeks so I wonder if peppers just take longer? 

diggerjoe

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32 »
I'm with Fisherman grow for what we actually need and use. Picked two more carriers beans and you can only freeze so much. Not bothering  with pumpkin next year this year they are still tiddlers and will not do much. Not growing chillies next year either as we rarely use them and I just wanted to see if I cold ripen them still all very green as are the peppers and I might give toms a miss they are only just starting to show colour.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 12:22 »
I could say 'never again' to some crops but I know what I'm like - come next spring I will have changed my mind and be ready to try again  :)

God loves a tryer, and God knows I'm trying ;)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Paul Plots

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 14:35 »
I could say 'never again' to some crops but I know what I'm like - come next spring I will have changed my mind and be ready to try again  :)

God loves a tryer, and God knows I'm trying ;)

Mrs L says I'm very trying too sometimes.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 15:45 »
I think I will concentrate on Beans - french and runner...they always do well and are easy to grow and harvest.  Of course they freeze well too so gluts are no problem.
White rot in my onions an d garlic has put me off those for few years!!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 16:01 »
My efforts at freezing runner beans are always a disaster - I have tried blanching and non-blanching, timing with a stopwatch, cooling with ice - you name it.  The end result is always flabby and rubbery when cooked from frozen.  I have tried to pretend I just bought them at the supermarket, but the family always know and they get pushed to the side of the plate.  As for adding them to casseroles, I just don't fancy it. 

This year I have grown one small wigwam of runners and that would be enough, except that I have also grown  dwarf and climbing French beans as well and they are even more prolific!  I can't resist though, as they are so easy to grow but it is always exciting to see their little green heads poking through the compost (I am easy to please :) )

Beklet

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 09:59 »
I'm going to say no peas - tasted great but too many caterpillars in them  >:(
Bet I sow more next year though especially as I have half a packet left... ::)
Didn't get to the plot enough to harvest properly. I grew runner beans but didn't pick any - will definitely be growing chillis again they've been fantastic this year - wish I had a greenhouse though  :(

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56 »
I don't think I will bother with sweetcorn next year as it has been a disaster this year. Maybe I'll grow some if I ever get that allotment.

Give it a go

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 18:54 »
I must end on a happy note ;) My runner beans, beetroot,spring /onions and garlic were great. The leeks are doing very well and I should be able to crop rhubarb next year.

Not a bad first 9 months on an allotment :)

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 19:05 »
minipop corn, lovely plants shame about the crop. so much effort for bog all return if you will excuse the expression.

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 20:33 »
I would say you should never say never again. For example, been sowing peas for years with little success, this year fantastic. 
It all depends on the weather, when you sow etc. etc.

My aim is to try as wide a range of produce as possible.  If a crop does well you'll get more fresh stuff than the average family needs on not much ground.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 21:03 »
My aim is to try as wide a range of produce as possible.  If a crop does well you'll get more fresh stuff than the average family needs on not much ground.

I agree - it's great isn't it?

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 15:15 »
I agree too - nearly gave up on outside tomatoes after three years of bligh the "b" word but this year I'm pleased I stuck just a few outside - lovely flavour.

Keep trying and if at first you don't suck-seed then try and try again.  ::)

paintedlady

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 05:32 »
No more potatoes on the plot, I harvested my king edwards today and they are a scabby slug riden sorry sight :(    

King Edwards are notorious for slug food (my first year at the allotment and again last year to see if it was just bad luck but have concluded they are not for my plot)  May I recommend Kestrel - a 2nd early crop but you can leave them and use as a maincrop.  For years I've only grown a few seed spuds (Wilkos 5 pack) and been very happy with them so this year bought a 1.5kg pack.  Rooster has also been very prolific despite a dry summer but they do seem to succumb to late blight readily -  however by the time you cut the haulms back, there are still plenty of good size unblemished potatoes to harvest.

Last year I said no more carrots but got a couple of freebie packets of seeds this year - the Royal Chantennay Red have been the best ever.  Broad beans this year were a total disaster - the overwintering crop crashed due to the snow/ice and the spring planted were overcome by blackfly but I suspect I'll be trying again regardless.

If I were to cross anything off my list, it's got to be aubergines.  Last year I grew Calliope F1 outdoors and was successful but all other varieties never amount to anything and just take up greenhouse space.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 10:02 »
I'm going to say no peas - tasted great but too many caterpillars in them  >:(

Peas are on their last chance next year, but I am going to try dwarf ones, grown under enviromesh tunnels. That way hopefully I won't need to build supports and they won't get riddled with maggots.
Rachael

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Definitely the last time. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 21:07
by smilydog
xx
It's time

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 12:25
by Mattgregory27
xx
Best time to sow?

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 16:08
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 38 queries.