Next time

• 49 Replies

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: Next time
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 21:23 »
Well i'll be growing lettuce again next year ... but not as much  :)
I planted 20 iceburgs , 15 little gems , 15 all year round , and a 4ft line of cut and come again , i thought half of this lot wouldn't grow ... but it all grew perfect , so half of it go thrown in the compost bin  :nowink: i just dont want to see another lettuce again till summer next year  :wub:

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 23:38 »
If my redcurrant bush doesn't wake its ideas up next year, it's for the chop.  I hardly had a single berry off it, and it's a big bush.

As I say every year, I will reduce the number of courgette plants I grow.

Have greatly reduced my jerusalem artichoke crop, as they give me horrible wind   :blink:

Celery has turned out to be a lot more trouble than its worth. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 02:12 »
Next time I'll try harder to guess what it is that Mrs L has decided is "popular" and then adjust what I grow.  ::)

I have had some beautiful lettuce this season (was in high demand last year)...but now it's baby leaf spinach that's being called for instead.  ???  :blink:   

A fellow just can't keep up with the fads and fancies  :wacko:

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fisherman

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 06:23 »
My intention is to grow less of everything, just enough for 2, not enough for 10. Now I think about it I thought the same this time last year although I now have chickens who love the surplus :D.

Definately no more peppers. I am still waiting for my first one to ripen in the greenhouse and if it ever does I will need a machete to get to it as their like damn triffids. Their grown in grow bags so I don't know what went wrong there :wacko:!

Why do they put so much seed in one packet. Turnips - 1,750 seeds, lettuce 1,500 seeds, carrots 2,500 seeds, I ask you. I know there cheap but that's ridiculous. It wouldn't be so bad if they gave poor germination rates.

codheadred

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:54 »
"Never Again"

Peppers - waste of time, effort and space (ahem ok well I might try some F1 Bullhorn as they went well for others)

I want to say spuds due to standing water and 4 rotted beds but I love early potatoes just gonna have to add some soil.

Radish again they were ok on the allotment but were terrible at home in the garden.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 14:29 »
Potatoes - have tried growing them in growbags/pots for the last two years and I just can't get them to actually produce potatoes - its all just folliage. >:( I might as well have just eaten the seed potatoes instead! ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 15:09 »
Next time I wont plant the courgettes in the same bed as the butternut squash..  :ohmy:

It's been hell clambering through he BN Squash foliage to find the courgettes - thank heavens I did decide to put canes in where each of them was planted.  ;)

I have a feeling I may have typed the very same thing somewhere else but if I keep doing so I might just remember not to make the same mistake again next year  :blink:  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 15:15 »
repeat after me. don't plant the courgettes........
learning by rote works, so why stop now  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 16:06 »
repeat after me. don't plant the courgettes........
learning by rote works, so why stop now  :lol:

Perhaps I'll also add a reminder for next Spring on my phone!  8)

starry

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 16:49 »
I wont be growing cucumbers and tomatoes, grew them in the garden so I could care for them everyday but now they have finally arrived our summer (at this moment in time) has disappeared and now I don't fancy them!!  :tongue2:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 17:29 »
don't you use tomatoes to cook with? In pasta sauces and stews in the winter?

Freeze when they are ripe and use when you need them.........much better than tinned ;)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 18:12 »
Potatoes: take up a lot of room that could be better used with other veg and do not in all honesty taste any better than shop bought ones. At all.

Onions and garlic: as spuds, there really is little difference in taste in these and they are not the most reliable of veg.

pattypan squash: blandness personified.

Asparagus peas: quite quite disgusting in flavour. I grew quite a small amount to try them out, excited by their billing as being a gourmet veg. But they were vile. I even had some in a good restaurant after I tasted my own lot in case it was my growing and my cooking - and guess what? they tasted the same as mine ie) still vile!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 20:01 »
don't you use tomatoes to cook with? In pasta sauces and stews in the winter?

Freeze when they are ripe and use when you need them.........much better than tinned ;)

I totally agree - I use the Delia recipe.  Fry a chopped onion and garlic (as little or as much as you like), skin the tomatoes (2 or 3 lbs at a time) in boiling water, chop and remove any fibrous bits,  season and then simmer gently for a couple of hours to reduce - the smell is divine - then add basil.  I freeze in bags and use in pasta sauces or chicken paprika.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 20:31 »
thank you barbarella i was just wondering what to do with the growing mound of tomatoes, sounds delish :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03 »
With respect to some of the posts that have had difficulty with peppers I've been growing 'King of the North' a green sweetpepper from Realseeds for the last two years, outside, with excellent results.

Start off on the windowsill in Feb, pot on March/April, coldframe April, plant out under 'bottle cloches (old 5l water bottles)' late May, remove cloche when the pepper is too big and leave to the elements (small plants sometimes need protecting against pigeons though). Start to crop prolifically in August, and keep going for at least a couple of months.

SS

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Time

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 11:00
by gregmcalister
xx
second time around

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 22:09
by 10dahlia
xx
Time for a re-think

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 13:45
by Aidy

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 38 queries.