Raised beds or pots???

• 5 Replies

Becky H

Raised beds or pots???
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:12 »
Hi all, I am a newbie as you can probably tell!!!  I am currently on a two year waiting list for the local allotments so am aiming to make the most of the small backgarden I've got in the meantime. 

My question is this would I be better to use pots and try for container growing or a single raised bed of 3" by 5" with additional pots??

I look forward to spending loads of time on here in the future!!

Bex

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raised beds or pots???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59 »
Welcome Becky!

We do have a few jokers on here ( ::)) who will no doubt mention that a "3"X5"" raised bed will only be large enough to grow 1 lettuce and that 3'X5' would be more productive!

Assuming there is an element of either/or when it comes to pots v raised bed it does depend to some extent on what you want to grow; many things can be grown in pots but equally many things either need or will do better in open ground.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05 »
Hi Bex.... what type of veg are you wanting to grow?  :)

noshed

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10 »
I would recommend John's book: http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/small-space-growing.php

Good, sensible advice
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:19 »
HI Becky,
If you can try and watch the latest episode off Beechgrove Garden on iplayer - a lady on that was growing loads of stuff in pots at the side of her house. I have a hardstanding at the top of my garden at home where the car should be parked but bever is, so I have toms, lettuce , spuds and some peas and beans which were all leftover from my allotment they grow well with care such as watering but the drawback can be the cost of filling a large pot these days with compost. I second noshed's advice John's book is really good.

Becky H

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44 »
"We do have a few jokers on here ( ::)) who will no doubt mention that a "3"X5"" raised bed will only be large enough to grow 1 lettuce and that 3'X5' would be more productive!"  :lol: can tell I don't do the DIY!!!!

I am aiming to grow Leeks, Potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbage, lettuice, carrots, Marrows, peas and beans, all in reasonably small consecutive amounts to try each to see the ones I can actually grow without killing :blush:

I've got Johns book on order so hopefully that will help!!  Thank you all

Bex

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by steve n gillian on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 10:21
by gobs
xx
New raised beds

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 17:09
by grenhouse
xx
Raised Beds

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:42
by Ice

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 30 queries.