Red mite!!!!

• 10 Replies

Ribbit

Red mite!!!!
« on: August 19, 2010, 13:42 »
I just started to clean out the coop and took out he perches and noticed a clump of red with further inspection a whole army of red mite were hidden everywhere. I spent the last 2 hours hosing it down I put some crushed garlic cloves in the water. I need some quick home remedies i can use while i get the diatom etc. Please help!!!!
It's like America...But south!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Red mite!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 14:08 »
The quickest home remedy I know is a blow torch!

Have you got any strong disinfectant?

Paraffin?  But don't use blow torch after rubbing paraffin everywhere!  :ohmy:  The paraffin I would only use of the perch ends because of the fumes, but if home remedies worked, none of us would be spending ££££'s on diatom and poultryshield.

Hope you get rid soon Ribbit!

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 14:16 »
I would : -
Clear all the bedding out and bin it or burn it.
Wash the coop out using hot water and detergent mixed quite strong. Soak any joints or crevices.
If you have or can borrow a decorating steamer use that as that will definately kill any that come close to it.
Leave the bedding out and just use newspaper for a few days. Then repeat the above as often as possible, daily if you can.
Get a good disinfectant specifically for redmite control.
Read the reviews further down as their is some good information. Hillfooter gives some really good advice.

Good Luck

PS Have a shower after cleaning the coop as the little devils are prone to jumping on you. >:(

Ribbit

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 14:48 »
thank you for your advice. I'll try and get the diatom and poultry shield as quick as poss. I'll give the hot water and detergent a go. Thanks!

Ribbit

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 15:00 »
Also I've been using straw as the nesting material. Should i use wood shavings?

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 15:24 »
Straw is said not to be good for chickens as it can contain all sorts of bugs (might even been the source of your red mite!). Dust extracted wood shavings are fine. I use Hemcore which is hemp based as it aborbs moisture and is especially good in wet conditions. It can generally be bought from horse feed suppliers. There are other named materials again hemp based which are also said to be good. I think Hemcore costs about 8.50 for a bale which is more expensive than wood shavings but it lasts longer. It can also be used in nest boxes which means you only need one type of bedding.

Ribbit

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 15:32 »
I had a shower straight after your other post  :) Nasty things! I'll put the shavings and such on my list as well. - Sophie

Xxluke11xX

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 16:05 »
HI i use Creosote and diesel mix the two and paint or spray it on the house you will have to move the chickens because it gives off a strong smell. This will get rid of them and will stop them. you can spend a fortune getting stuff that never works be warned they will come running out of the cope like no tomorrow hope this helps
L.B

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 18:38 »
As creosote is carcinogenic it's use is banned for most people so please do not advocate it on here. Poultry shiels will work along with using diatom made into a paste and panted on.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ribbit

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 18:51 »
Thanks joyfull. I shall do that when I get my hands on the stuff. Pouring boiling water over the perches etc really helped! (i know there are still some there) Instead of the b****rs floating to the surface and paddling around they just floated. Can't remember the name of the stuff you use to seal and waterproof things its clear grrr can't remember... If anyone knows what i'm on about can you use it to seal around the cracks on the perches and will this help?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 18:56 »
Silicon sealant - be careful with it cause if it starts to lift off the girls may tey to eat it  :(

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 23:16
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 37 queries.