Auto chopper

• 16 Replies

Livinhope

Auto chopper
« on: August 18, 2010, 16:08 »
Watching the programme 'The Boss is coming to Dinner', one of the women on there was using a chopping implement very similar to one I had years ago.  It's got a round base which contains blades, there is a plunger type handle that comes out of the top and to use it you bang down on the top and the blades come down and chop whatever is underneath.  Sorry for the explanation but it's the only way I can describe it.  The one I had was called an Autochopper.  Does anyone know of anywhere that sells these because I would love another one to save my hands?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Auto chopper
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 16:26 »
Lakeland have them. If you look on Amazon they might have them cheaper.

Happy hunting. :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 16:31 »
also have them here

Some of the gadgets are reputedly very flimsy and extremely hard to clean properly without losing fingertips!

According to Viz TopTips the safest way to chop vegetables without cutting yourself is to get someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop away in perfect safety....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 18:06 »
also have them here

Some of the gadgets are reputedly very flimsy and extremely hard to clean properly without losing fingertips!

According to Viz TopTips the safest way to chop vegetables without cutting yourself is to get someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop away in perfect safety....

There's always one  ???

Thanks I'll have a look if they are rubbish then they will stay where they are and I'll battle on without.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 19:26 »
Ask anybody who was cooking in the 70`s and the chances are they will have a vintage K-tel or Chop-o-matic gadget in the attic they will give you.

Those salesmen at rural shows were good , i think i got a free bottle of snake oil with mine. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 21:31 »
I actually bought one a couple of years ago, its just the same as the old one I had years back!  Still a nuisance to clean, but handy!  I got mine in one of the el cheapo shops, but I can't remember which one!  

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 21:42 »
I think it's quicker to chop with knife and board, and much easier to wash up as well :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 21:49 »
I agree.  Get yourself a decent sharp knife and practice with it.  Those chopping thingummies tend to tear to shreds rather than chop.
Cheese makes everything better.

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09 »
I agree.  Get yourself a decent sharp knife and practice with it.  Those chopping thingummies tend to tear to shreds rather than chop.

I have a complete set of very sharp chefs knives, it doesn't help the arthritic hands.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:38 »
That would make using a knife very difficult.  From what I remember the autochop needed quite a thump to chop some things, if you could manage that then it would be ideal.

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42 »
That would make using a knife very difficult.  From what I remember the autochop needed quite a thump to chop some things, if you could manage that then it would be ideal.

Exactly, there are times when I can't grip the handle of a knife which is not only difficult but dangerous.  My old chopper was used so much it disintegrated with use and I've never seen one since, but I'll trawl the kitchen shops and cheapos and see what I can find.

Livinhope

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:58 »
Ice, Have you received a pm from me in reply to the one you sent this morning?  I tried replying by e-mail and it got thrown back so tried via the site and can find no record of it.  Sorry to put this on here.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:09 »
Yes I have.  Had a few gremlins this morning myself. ::)

Casey76

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 15:58 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 16:11 »
can I put in a good word for this
mini electric one great for small quantities  :)

xx
Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 22:25
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 37 queries.