Please recommend an apple tree

• 10 Replies

themoog

• Experienced Member
Please recommend an apple tree
« on: August 17, 2010, 19:20 »
I know it's all subjective, but what's your favourite apple variety?

I'm looking for a single tree for a small allotment plot and I'm after a dessert or dual purpose variety.

So...if you could only have one variety, which would it be?

Also, there are lots of other trees on site but not on my plot. Do I need a self-fertile type or would trees on the next plot be OK for the job?
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

SG6

Re: Please recommend an apple tree
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 19:28 »
Holstein or Karmijn De Sonnaville are my favorites.  ??? ??? ???
Think Karmijn is a triploid. :(

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 19:35 »
James Grieve always does well in my garden.  Trees nearby are usually sufficient to pollinate.  Whilst I know Bramleys are cooking apples I wouldn't be without one and can eat them like eaters!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 19:36 »
If you are relying on other trees you really need to find out what they are ....as apples have 3 groups for pollination.......early flowering, mid and late, so that you can choose a variety that flowers at the same time ;)

A triploid needs 2 other apples for pollination, which can make things difficult :unsure:
Bramley is also a triploid

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 21:55 »
I bought the Family Apple tree last year (so no fruit yet) It has Discovery, James Grieve and Sunset all grafted on the one tree on dwarf rootstock.  The three parts should flower at the same time for pollination.

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 23:36 »
Spartan and you won't need 300 of them . sorry couldn't resist it.

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:46 »
I have 7 apple trees in my garden, and the most reliable is Discovery (it is also self fertile) with few problems and good cropping.  At the allotment, there is a tree right on the boundary so half of it overhangs on my side  :D - I think it is called Empire (only going off when the fruit are ready and very close similarity to size, shape and colour of fruit sold in the shops) and considering the tree was neglected for many years, it is a heavy cropper of lovely smallish, sweet & crunchy apples.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27 »
Thanks! That's useful to know Mumofstig. A lot of people on site don't know what varieties they've got, either because the trees were there when they took over the plot or they were bought/given from somewhere like Aldi or Lidl and they've lost the label or it didn't give the variety.

I think that self-fertile or a family tree is the answer so we're making progress  :D. What about russets? I've heard that they aren't very reliable croppers.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46 »
We have a James Grieve , a very heavy cropper (picked 3 gallon yesterday just to get some weight off the tree)  but the apples do not store well so you have to cook and freeze them.
They make a good apple pie but as an eating apple are fairly bland.
1st crop off the new Cox`s Orange will be ready soon , my favourite eater. :)

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 22:16 »
Hi Moog, I have a large mature Russet and it is indeed an erratic cropper with quite small fruit which is a shame because the taste is wonderful. Not one I'd recommend if you only have room for one tree. Out of my 4 trees the only one that has never failed me is James Grieve.

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 22:35 »
Seriously now, Spartan is self fertile, a very heavy cropper and one of the best flavoured eating apples you will find. One problem is that the apples don't store well so you will have plenty of juice or cider.

xx
Can anyone recommend a plum tree?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 22:16
by Babstreefern
xx
recommend some fruit tree varieties

Started by Juli on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 13:57
by Juli
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 37 queries.