Heartbreak again.

• 24 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: Heartbreak again.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 18:34 »
THat is horrendous!!! Those poor dogs. Poor chickens and poor dogs, no-one comes off well in this do they. I hope they lose those dogs, they must have been so desperate to come over and attack your birds. I feel guilty leaving my lab shut in the kitchen when I go to bed, how could they just leave them with nothing?!?  Oooh, it makes my blood boil  >:(
So happy to hear that your remaining chooks are doing well, and I hope you get some new birds, to live in your happy flock...paid for by the dog owners.
I wouldnt hold your breath though, if they cant care for their own dogs, they're not going to give a toss about your chickens. Grrrrrrrrrr  :mad:
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 18:47 »
Having had our dog attacked by another resulting in a broken leg I am aware how distressing these thing can be. So sorry that you have lost hens though. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things for those left. Be kind to yourselves as well it must have been shocking!! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rachelr

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 19:55 »
WE love france and would be there now if i was not so disabled. When most people talk they think the french dont care about their animals and this is just not true. They have evil people just as we do.

Near our house in france a lovely elderly french lady called Ramond takes in abandoned dogs. Most of these are by the english who are leaving france and leaving their dogs. I cant believe people who hurt animals. They should be shown the same justice. Lock them in a dog kennel/hen house or beat them with a stick and see how they like it.

I am sorry you are having a rough time with your chickens. I hope it gets better soon
Rachel

NormandyMary

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 19:10 »
Latest update:

The owners of the offending dog came to see us and have offered to pay for replacement hens. Some people just DONT get it do they? There was hardly an apology from them, the gonk of a bloke just said "well he is a hunting dog". I think he missed the point somehow, perhaps it got lost in translation.
Im charging them for 3 hens and a cockerel, as all were damaged. The poor things are still petrified and have only come out of the henouse once, to get some banana. Miss Gray's feathers still stand up on end round her neck shen she hears me approach the henhouse. I take it that that's fear.
And to put a tin hat on everything, I think Monty has Bumblefoot. I thought he had just damaged his toe, but he had a lump onhis foot which fell off the day of the attack and his foot is still swollen. We will be bathing, spraying and bandging it tomorrow, so wish me luck. Ill give it a day or two then its the vets.
I know that Miss Gray needs company, but am I right not getting new hens just yet. I dont think she is up to it yet, Monty certainly isnt. I have a dilema though. I should bring Monty in, but cant leave Miss Gray on her own. Dont tell OH, but I think both will be living in the conservatory tomorrow!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 19:19 »
Some people just dont get the whole 'pet' thing do they. His dogs are obviously just useful to him, for hunting. He wouldnt have treated them so badly otherwise and definately isnt going to get the whole chicken affection thing. All the money in the world isnt going to stop you being upset. What an idiot (I did have to smile when you called him a gonk though, not heard that for years  :))
Im sorry I cant offer advice, only condolances. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for your remaining two, I hope they cheer up soon and get better even quicker xx

evie2

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 19:49 »
It's not your problem he owns hunting dogs and can't keep them under control >:( 

He should think himself lucky you have a kind understanding nature Mary.  I know quite a few French people and they would not have been so nice, he's got off lightly.

Poor Monty he's been through so much, I'd bring them in too.

Grace

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

NormandyMary

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 18:10 »
A final footnote to this horrible tale:

Ive finally received a cheque from our neighbours for the cost of my new hens. I also enclosed a bill for Monty's treatment at the vets, which they also paid, though strictly it wasnt their dog that caused it.
Had to laugh though, they wanted me to sign to say that they had paid, solely so that they could claim on their house insurance...can you believe it??!!
I just hope they refuse to pay out as it was their negligence that caused the problem. It was only €50 anyway, hardly a fortune!
Still, now I can move on.

evie2

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 18:14 »
 :D :D :D

Jeanette

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 18:30 »
I have been away for a couple of days so only just read what has happened. I am so so sorry about what has happened and hope that they have a full recovery. I can't say what i think of people like the dogs owners because i would be banned from the sight but i am sending a very big (((((hug))))).

bantam novice

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 20:35 »
It's good that you feel you can draw a line under this and move on  :)  Let us know how Monty and Miss Grey get on and what you decide about the new chickens. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.