Chickens eating eggs

• 4 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Chickens eating eggs
« on: August 17, 2010, 16:11 »
Well I thought it was too good to be true that all was harmonized in chooksville.

I noticed a few weeks ago that on e of the girls had yell on her head. I thought it may have bee yolk so have been watching them closely eversince. Only trouble is I think they know I am watching them and can't be up the garden with 24/7.

Edna our legbar must have laid an egg on the floor of the run one morning as the remains of a shell were left and the other the day whilst we were in the garden (making our veg garden bigger) I noticed a frenzy of chooks in the corner. They were eating something and were at it like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't at first see what they had but then noticed some clear slimey stuff they were attacking which I presumed to be the white of an egg. Again the tell tale signs of yellow on a few of the girls heads but no shell bits to be seen at all.
Doris who is a prolific layer hasn't laid for the past 2 days. I thought she may have been having a rest but we have found 2 wet patches in the coup and have a feeling it may be eggs. Doris lays first every morning so it looks like they have been eaten.  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I am at a loss as what to do now so if anyone can give me some advise I would be most grateful.

A worried Ma x  :unsure: :unsure:

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens eating eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 17:03 »
One of my girls went thro a phase of laying soft eggs, only to be eaten in a frenzy both by her and the others.  I hadn't done anything different, she didn't seem any different.  It went on for a few days and then stopped as suddenly as it had started. 
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 17:44 »
Are the eggs thin or soft shelled? If they are then they will eat them to remove any evidence and also for the protein. If they are deliberatly smashing the eggs then you may have to get Pa to make some rollaway nest boxes  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:53 »
I have often wondered about this as I almost had an accident with a thin shelled egg which broke in my hand to be chaced down by several birds - thankfully none of them got any of it though! I've heard that putting golf balls or china eggs in the nest box may help since they will try to break it but not get in and so it should put them off. If this doesn't work you could perhaps coat it with anti-pecking spray? I don't know if this will work - I should have thought it would do - the nasty taste should put them off?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 13:03 »
If you look at this link you should be able to see a simple rollaway nest box to make

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16490.0

or alternatively Grannie Annie has a plastic one that works well so you could ask her all about it - think it's called a chick box.

xx
Chickens eating their eggs

Started by teresac on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 11:20
by mercury
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Having your eggs and eating them!!

Started by backyardfarmer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 10:41
by poultrygeist
xx
hen eating eggs

Started by rump on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 10:29
by rump

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 38 queries.