SICK cockerel

• 5 Replies

ivygirls

SICK cockerel
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:21 »
Hi there - new to this today but so impressed with everyone helping each other just wondered if anyone can help me.  I have a very sick bantam cockerel.  He has a protruding chest and can't stand up properly - keeps falling over.  He is about 19 months old and has stopped crowing and stopped attacking me too (very unusual)  his feathers have all gone from his chest but have de-liced him and the girls only a couple of weeks ago and the hen house also.  Really don't know what's up with him but it looks terminal to me.  He is eating a little bit but last night I had him sitting on my lap which is unheard of!  Can anyone suggest anything????? Thank you!!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: SICK cockerel
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:36 »
I am sure someone will be quick to suggest what's ailing him, but for me, the first port of call... vet!

Hope he's back on form soon.  :)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39 »
Hi Ivygirls, so sorry to hear about your sick cockerel. I was typing this message when scabs posted.  My advice would also be to see a vet.

Hope all ends well
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:52 »
same advice from me too get him to a vets asap he is obviously unwell.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:55 »
are the feathers missing or is it because his crop is so enlarged making them look sparse? I would still get him to a vet immediately as he could have a serious impacted crop which I would say is beyond the usual methods of removing if he cannot walk, the vets hopefully should be able to help him.

ivygirls

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:25 »
are the feathers missing or is it because his crop is so enlarged making them look sparse? I would still get him to a vet immediately as he could have a serious impacted crop which I would say is beyond the usual methods of removing if he cannot walk, the vets hopefully should be able to help him.
Hi there - the feathers are missing, I think you are right withthe impacted crop theory.  He also has diorrehea which I forgot to mention earlier.  Will try olive oil and maggots and a lot of massage to help him. 

xx
sick cockerel

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 21:04
by bluecharlie
xx
Help please really sick cockerel i don't want to lose him

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 16:47
by joyfull
clip
ID my cockerel?

Started by soapwitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2021, 14:11
by grinling
xx
Cockerel

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:52
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 29 queries.