I should know this but

• 5 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
I should know this but
« on: August 16, 2010, 19:39 »
If you cut stems or leaves from perennial weeds and chuck em in the compost heap is there any chance they will root like cuttings.  Daft question I know but it just bothers me I'm thinking mostly of things like creeping buttercup and other things which root by runners.

Anybody got any ideas  Ta

Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: I should know this but
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 20:02 »
I honestly cant remember that ever happening to me CE, or reading not to do it

(nice to see you by the way  :D )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SG6

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 20:10 »
If just the green bits I think it just composts down like other greens. If it has set seed then the seeds could get into the compost and surface and grow later.

Find if you put the roots through a shredder they don't grow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 20:21 »
Perennial roots will often grow again so it's better not to put these on your compost heap, also any weeds that have already set seeds.  As SG6 says, the green bits are ok.
By perennial roots I mean things like dandelions, ground elder, bindweed, etc.  I think if the compost heap gets up to the right temperature it may cause the roots to die but I never risk it.  I've got enough dandelions and bindweed without spreading it around in the compost. All of mine go in the recycling bin - I believe all that stuff is heat treated before being turned to compost.  From what I've read if you chop a dandelion root in to bits it just causes more plants to grow, one from each bit of root...

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:13 »
Thanks folks I've been throwing way too much stuff away What a waste.

ember

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:22 »
Just as a side line, if you drown the roots and any seed heads they are compostable. At least three weeks in a bucket of water. Gets a bit smelly then then that's no hassle on an allotment  :lol:

I save mine up in a plastic bag then dump them all in the water together.

Put newspaper into the compost bin at the same time as the drowned weeds to prevent excess wet.

M
When I arrived, there were so many docks, I thought it was Southampton.

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 36 queries.