How do you stop mice?

• 31 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: How do you stop mice?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 12:39 »
I am happy to rent out my 6mth old kitten who is fast becoming a mousing expert. She caught 6 in 24hrs last week. I will charge a small fee of course  :tongue2:  :lol:

Yes, I'd love to take you up on that, but I'm not sure how I'd guarantee the cat's safety. My GSD would do it no harm unless she squashed it accidentally. But my lurcher is another story entirely :)

Junie

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 13:03 »

And I'm afraid pointing gaps in the house isn't really feasible either, not in an old house. They travel along the pipework and inside the walls and they can fit through unbelievably small gaps. We've even had them climb smooth tiles on the kitchen wall to get into the high level cupboards. They really are one of nature's most efficient and effective inventions.
Thanks for mentioning the pipework, I would probably not thought of that! ::)
[/quote]Found mouse droppings in my bathroom cupboard this morning!!!   :mad: Look like they are getting up by the pipes as it is the same pipe as the kitchen sink.  Some investigation needed methinks..

Trikidiki

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 21:59 »
I had mice nicking all my broad beans in the spring even those that were about 3 inches high (nipped off the stems and stole the bean).

They then started on my strawberries so I bought a couple of 'olde worlde' mouse traps.

21 bodies later my strawberries were left alone. A mixture of harvest mice, house mice, a shrew and two voles.

I've now had some tomatoes taken so the traps are moving from the strawberry house to the greenhouse.

mobilekat

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:02 »
We just go for the traditional old mousetraps, baited with dog biscuits, and then put under something to prevent us catching the dogs nose.

You know they are dead, and not wandering around poisoned, as I always worry about raptors and other predators eating 'dying' mice.

And I am getting better at setting these without catching my own fingers (or screaming and dropping the trap when it goes off as I put it in place!- much to OHs amusement!)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Junie

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:11 »
We have used the traditional mousetraps, but I am not keen on hunting for the heads, which seem to fly off.  The result is not pleasant.  We were thinking of live trap then letting it loose near the dog, to give him some fun, and a quick exit for the mouse!

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33 »
We have used the traditional mousetraps, but I am not keen on hunting for the heads, which seem to fly off.  The result is not pleasant.  We were thinking of live trap then letting it loose near the dog, to give him some fun, and a quick exit for the mouse!

French traps manufactured by ex- guillotine makers ?  :D

Never get that problem with the 'Little Nipper'.

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 07:07 »
I'd defo go the cat option!!

We had mice on our property as we live out in the sticks surrounded by farmers fields.
We got sick of them getting in the house and would often hear them in our attic above our bedroom chewing or nesting . They got in the shed and chewed everything! kids pool aswell which upset them (and us since we had to fork out for a new one)

We was offered an 11 week old ginger kitten who's now 1 and is the best mouser ever....not had a single mouse (well live ones anyway) in my house for months!!
She definatley earns her keep!

Don't worry about a cat with the dogs! Cats learn to avoid them and can always manage to stick up for them selves!!
I hope you find a solution :)
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

Swing Swang

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 07:24 »
Poison, 'snap' traps, and electrocution chambers all used to great effect at Swing Swang mansions.

I've got a supply of ferret poo on order from a mate who's just bought a pair and I'm goig to see if it act as a deterrent.

SS

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 08:51 »
Chickens are great for catching and eating mice  :D
Mind you they will also eat any veg you have growing as well  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 13:23 »

Don't worry about a cat with the dogs! Cats learn to avoid them and can always manage to stick up for them selves!!
I hope you find a solution :)

With the other two dogs I'd absolutely agree, but not with the lurcher. Lurchers and greyhounds are infamous for killing cats, and our lurcher is one with a very strong prey drive. It's a pity because I'd love to get a cat, but I just daren't take the risk.

evie2

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 13:44 »
I used a humane mouse traps once, bad idea, after releasing them in a field, the mice made it back to the cottage before I did >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 13:55 »
I used a humane mouse traps once, bad idea, after releasing them in a field, the mice made it back to the cottage before I did >:(

You have to take them at least half a mile away to be sure they won't come back. I mean, half a mile is a heck of a long way if you've got legs as short as a mouse :) But they're not sentimental, they couldn't care less where they live as long as they've got food.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 14:00 »
Catching vermin and then releasing elsewhere is supposed to be illegal isn't it?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 14:09 »
Catching vermin and then releasing elsewhere is supposed to be illegal isn't it?

I believe so Joy, if not is certainly isn't cricket! Hence my reply earlier in this thread, not totally made in jest.......  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20 »
Ah yes, they went to the field at the bottom of the garden ::) next day took a trip to good old Woolies and bought 6 little nippers, no more mrs nice :D

xx
How to Stop Our Veg From Being Eaten By Creatures, Such as Mice, Pigeons, etc.

Started by poshsimontemplar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 21:26
by shokkyy
xx
@!*?&%! mice

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 15:26
by vegmandan
xx
Mice

Started by allotmentjohn on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 18:14
by arugula
xx
Mice

Started by ang on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2006, 11:51
by ang

Page created in 0.763 seconds with 36 queries.