Is there anything I should not give my chickens for dinner/

• 24 Replies

Pig Cat

Re: Is there anything I should not give my chickens for dinner/
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 22:20 »
If ever I find snails I chuck them in for the chickens and they go nuts, eating the shell too which I presume is a great source of calcium for them. I imagine they'd be just as happy with slugs too.

I give them layers pellets first thing, a handful each. Then later in the day they have kitchen scraps that usually include some left-over cereal, some pasta or rice and some fruit or veg. I also give them a couple of handfuls of corn. I think they are rather pampered!

orchardlady

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 00:10 »
I keep 30 hens free range. One member commented that advocardo is poisonous to hens. Very occasionally I give my girls an over ripe advocardo. I cut in half just like you would for a human and they eat the flesh completely and leave the skin intact without a trace of the flesh left with the stone next to it, again completely clean. I've seen no ill effects.

Junie

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16 »
Orchardlady,
That is interesting to know about the avocado, perhaps it is just the skin and stone that is not good then, I am sure the chooks know what is not good for them.
You have very pampered chooks - eating avocado, do they get it with dressing ?:D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31 »
mine loooovvvve mealworms as a treat. Its really comical when they all come running when I call them, its a great way of getting them back in the run if I need to go out.

I use that trick to get my girls back in as well.  1 rattle of the meal worm tub and they come pelting back  :lol:

stujem

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34 »
I have just found some celery in the fridge the best before date was 19 July it smells and looks good, should I give a stick or 2 to my hens
Stu

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38 »
I'd chuck that in the compost stujem.  Even if it's OK to eat it will have little nutrional value by now.

stujem

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39 »
Thank you, I will get rid

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 20:39 »
I might be completley wrong, I am not at all sure about this but I thought that you should not feed raw eggs to chickens because they carry very small amounts of salmonella in them. If your hen eats them the salmonella accumulates and eventually you end up with unsafe levels.

I don't think hens like really big slugs as they secrete loads of gue but they do eat slug eggs and small slugs. I have had hardly any slug damage this year, the second year of having hens free range in my garden - mind you a hard winter and dry summer probably didn't help the slugs either.

Bev

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 18:51 »
For anyone reading this after all this time, today I discovered it's illegal to feed kitchen scraps and such to your chickens...  :(

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81310.0

Edited:
ooops sorry didn't realise adding this on to the end of this thread would turn it into a 'new' one and put it back in the listing...just felt an update would be prudent for anyone coming to this through a search engine etc.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 19:19 by webwahm »

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 19:07 »
Its interesting how attitudes change, when we first looked into getting chickens we did  the usual research online, books etc and came up with this long list of what not to feed chickens. I showed this to my father inlaw who used to have chickens as a kid, i think he grew up in rural australia where everyone had a few and he almost had a fit with laughter at what your not supposed to feed them!!! Basicaly he said anything and everything left over went to the chickens.

question
Should I give my chickens grit?

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 20:24
by mummychick
xx
can you give chickens dried bread crumbs

Started by lynnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 09:31
by freebirdy
xx
turkey dinner yum yum

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 21:28
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Christmas dinner!

Started by skywalker on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 23:01
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 30 queries.