Help

• 16 Replies

Chicken Pete

Help
« on: August 12, 2010, 15:26 »
I am in urgent need of some advise re my chickens, in the last 6 days 3 have died(different days).  They all became very lethargic then could not get up on their legs,then died..
Can anyone let me have some idea as to what might have caused this.  The chickens are given plenty of greens (lettuce,Cabbage,etc),chicken pellets,grit and cooked potatoes mixed with carrots and broken up shells.  They have plenty water.
Unfortunately another one is showing the same symptoms this afternoon.
Thanks. :( :(

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 15:36 »
That sounds awful for you, hope someone comes along soon to help
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 15:49 »
You need to give more info, eg. what length of time between symptoms and death, what are the symptoms.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 15:55 »
The Symptoms are as mentioned ie lethargy, not being able to get onto their feet although
their eyes do seem to be alert when you go near them.  regarding time span it is about 2/3 days of being lethargic then about the same time before they die.  I have tried hand feeding some chicken mash and water but they did not seem interested!!!  If you rquire further info please let me know as I am really worried about the remainder of my hens.
Thanking you in anticipation :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 19:16 »
you need to get one to a vets asap, have you had them long?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 20:05 »
They are 18 months old and this is the first time anything untoward has occurred.
Have you any ideas?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 20:09 »
not really  :( they could have eaten some poison or part of a poisoness plant perhaps. Either it is very contageous or they are all getting to something they shouldn't. Are they free ranging or in a secure run?
I  would get them to a vets quickly before you lose any more.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23 »
Thanks for your reply,unfortunately another 1 died this a.m .
The chickens are in a secure pen with no plants,weeds,etc available so they only eat
what we put into their 2 feeders i.e layer pellets,grit,shell and lettuce,cooked potatoes,Cabbage leaves,dandelions,etc....Sometimes we give them old biscuits(dry) and bread.
The remaining hens look fine (at the moment!!)
Have booked them to see a vet so will keep my fingers X'd

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31 »
so sorry Pete, keep us posted on what the vet says - hopefully they can diagnose what is wrong with them  :(

Chicken Pete

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 15:42 »
I will certainly update you as to what the vet advises, just keeping my fingers x'd that whatever it is is treatable very quickly :(

Chicken Pete

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 17:24 »
Joyfull,  have been to the vets with some of the chickens and following some tests the vet thinks they have got a 'virus' !!! They have given me some medicine which I have to give them it in the mouth by syringe...  Ever tried catching chickens once they become aware of what you are going to do?
Anyway the medicine to be given every day for 10 days then,hopefully, improvements will be seen.
By the end of this time I should have become an expert chicken catcher,perhaps a new career.!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 17:35 »
It's easiest to catch them when they are sleepy on on their perches  :). It's really difficult when they free range and roost in the trees - I have two tree dwellers that are going to their new home this weekend so around midnight I will be out with my torch strapped to my head to try and catch them  :lol:.
Sounds like the vets have given you an antibiotic like baytril. What is the name on the bottle?

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 19:12 »
Could they hold their heads up normally?

Chicken Pete

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 19:13 »
Joyfull, yes they have given me 50 x 2.5% of Baytril oral, is this a good anti-biotic?  It seems to be helping as have not lost any more chickens for 6 days and have 10 days dosage. However, they are very,very thin which worried the vet.
Regarding the other question , their heads go down when sitting and looked dead but when went to pick the up their head picked up and thier eyes appeared alert!!!

Keeping my fingers X'd
Peter

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 19:38 »
Hopefully the antibiotics have started working. If their feathers came out reasonably easy I would have looked at it possibly being Clostridium botulinum A or C.
Is there any anaerobic decaying vegetation they have access to, eg. compost heap?

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 37 queries.