I've decided to buy a greenhouse, but which?

• 44 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
I've decided to buy a greenhouse, but which?
« on: August 12, 2010, 14:00 »
I've got a bit fed up trying to do greenhousey things with just a cold frame, so I've worked out a way of making space to put a small greenhouse on an existing piece of concrete hard standing.

An 8X8 would fit nicely but the sizes seem to be rather standardised and there are few choices in that size so it might have to be 8X6.

I've done as much research as I can both on here and via searches and although the sky is not the limit I can see that it would probably be a mistake to get something too cheap (Gardman for instance don't seem to get the best of reviews.)

Baron greenhouses (which I suspect is a Homebase brand although they seem to be made by Hall's) seem quite good value but I couldn't find many reviews for them.

Lastly there is the horticultural glass v. toughened glass v. polycarbonate (single/twin etc) issue to consider.

Any opinions out there please to help me make up my mind?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I've decided to buy a greenhouse, but which?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 15:54 »
I think these look good value for 8 x 8  :)

this one

Toughened glass............. if young children play in your garden, maybe :unsure:
I've got a small polycarb.....the next one will definitely be glass though. The plastic ones work, but don't seem to be very permanent, somehow :(

edited to add missing link Doh!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 16:57 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29 »
Hmmm - I know this is not the most-read part of the forum and it looks like I'm not going to get too many opinions!

I do like the idea of polycarbonate glazing though (twin-wall); can anyone say whether they have had any problems with it? (Apart from Mum who doesn't seem too impressed but thanks anyway!)  :unsure:

Slowgrind

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22 »
JayG,
I'm not the best quallified person to recomend anything about greenhouses.
I've had a second hand one in my garden for over a year now, though it has never been completed to date. It came complete with glass, the thin 3mm horticultural stuff. It's 15 maybe 20 years old and very brittle! The least little bump cracks or breaks full panes!
Having worked in the building trade for many years I've often used poly carb for glazing, schools etc. And I can't say that I've found it to be very satisfactory. It scratches easily and it can be difficult to buff out scratches, it's more expensive comparred to glass.
I never buy new stuff for the garden, someone somewhere is looking to get rid of just what I'm looking for. Though it may just take some time for us to be linked up.
My greenhouse is an 8'X6' Alton aluminium frame. I bought all new nuts bolts and glazing clips from Wilko, (this site should be paid a premium for every time that this store gets a mention on here) I used 3'X2' flags on edge to form the base wall under the metal frame base, and I've got metal holding down straps (batt straps) to hold the whole lot on top of the flags.
The glass versus polycarb versus toughened doesn't affect me as we don't get small children in our garden, and the greenhouse is fenced off from the rest of the garden. If I had the choice I'd use toughened without a doubt, then horticultural glass and polycarb last. I know that polycarb is safer but it's just not for me.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38 »
I also have kept away as I haven't advice to offer, but re. the twin-wall polycarb, we have a little lean-to "greenhouse" which basically just wasn't up to that job. The twin-wall panels take a lot of light out and, in our location anyway, they pop out of the frame too easily if a breeze breathes  ::).

We're thinking about placing a greenhouse in addition to our little polytunnel, but we would probably want to opt for perspex over any other material for the panels, as I've explained our thoughts on twin-wall and glass is too breakable as we really do get objects flying in the autumn and winter winds.

Little twin-wall greenhouse now has a new function and location as potting shed; OH also fitted an old clear shower screen into the roof panel and the cucumber is currently borrowing  and loving it.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

codheadred

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57 »
Jay

For me it depends on budget vs space.

All I had was a small amount of cash (in greenhouse terms) and the space for an 8 by 6, so I went 2nd hand and got an 8x6 aluminium frame.

Dismantling it was the easy part, the flagging and rebuilding a little more trying, definitely not 1 man jobs.

So for me buy the biggest cheapest one you can for the space you have

Steven

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 13:47 »
I think the aluminium most common sized with glass will be just fine (providing you don't have kids and bouncy dogs about)  If you do then you've got to think toughened glass which is dearer but would be best.  The polycarb goes opaque over time and does pop out the frame so you have to keep re-beading etc (I know as I have a timber greenhouse with polycarb windows)

I've also inherited two old, delapidated Halls bog standard aluminium greenhouses which I had reglazed by a glass company. They seem fine to me and they're well stuffed with all manner of veg. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 14:09 »
Oh dear!

I was rather taken with the "unbreakable" nature of polycarbonate plus its apparently better thermal insulation properties, but it doesn't count for much if I'm going to be chasing the panels all over the garden every time there is a gale!  :wacko:

Don't have a "kids" issue so I might as well go for standard horticultural glass on the basis that if you hit glass with something hard it will break, and unless you are inside at the time it doesn't really make much difference how many pieces you have to pick up!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 14:15 »
My polycarb was ok for a bit but it's very easily scratched.  I think toughened glass is the bees knees but is dear.  Ordinary greenhouse glass seems to break at nothing though so toughened is good if you  can afford it

The polycarb in my timber greenhouse is ok though, once secured, and the light levels seem fine for the plants.  It does require a bit of annual maintenance though as I want to make it last  :)

blue_seeds

• Plot A46 - Year 1 Just Spuds and Weeds!
    • Seeds Lane Allotments
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 15:24 »
I received a Gardman 8x6 this summer for £270ish with the base and glazing packs (check because some places dont add these 'packs' to the order!). It is a budget greenhouse with twin walled polycarb and is more than adequate for me (I just hope to raise seedlings and grow two grapes in there next year). IT took me about 2 days (on my own - would have been much easier with 2!) and i would call myself a fairly good DIYer so i had all the right tools etc.

Prepare the base well and I cant see it being a problem - we are in quite a windy place and I bought an extra 50 'W' clips to secure the glazing panels in and some extra aluminium bolts as they have a tendancy to snap if overtightened by a quarter turn.

Best of luck

Wes
Plot A46 - Year 1 Just Spuds and Weeds!

rock_chick

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 12:57 »
I've also decided that i really can't live without a greenhouse. The biggest we can fit into the garden is a 6x6. I've decided to go for toughened glass, as it's longer lasting than polycarb, and plus we've got 2 very bouncy dogs. I'm really undecided between an aluminium one and a wooden one (cedar). Any recommendations on the best makes to look into? Needs to be pretty solid, as it can get quite blustery here (although it will be positioned in the most sheltered end of the garden). Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22 »
As you may have read in "Chatting" I finally decided on a green-painted aluminium greenhouse with horticultural glass from Homebase. Despite being described as from the "Baron" range it is actually made by Halls, who sent me a confirmation letter earlier this week and then rang yesterday to say that delivery will be next Thursday between 0800 and 1000, which I think is pretty good customer service in this day and age (so far!)

As to your requirements, I would repeat my impression that super-cheap could be a mistake, there does seem to be a potential problem keeping polycarbonate glazing in place in high winds, and I'm not convinced that toughened glass is less breakable than standard, it just breaks into hundreds of hopefully safer pieces (it's not to be confused with laminated windscreen glass which will craze but still stay in place if hit.)

As to frame material I think it's a matter of appearance as much as anything; if you like wood it has to be cedar, but they are expensive.

I went for the green-painted aluminium version as I thought it would blend in better with the rest of the garden; the finish is supposedly good for 10-15 years and even if it didn't last that long the aluminium underneath should still be serviceable.

Hope this helps a bit!

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 13:53 »
Halls, who sent me a confirmation letter earlier this week and then rang yesterday to say that delivery will be next Thursday between 0800 and 1000, which I think is pretty good customer service in this day and age (so far!)

They also gave me that time slot ... the chap was hammering the door at 6:50am !! Im not sure if he started his route close to me but it was far too early.   ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 14:54 »
Halls, who sent me a confirmation letter earlier this week and then rang yesterday to say that delivery will be next Thursday between 0800 and 1000, which I think is pretty good customer service in this day and age (so far!)

They also gave me that time slot ... the chap was hammering the door at 6:50am !! Im not sure if he started his route close to me but it was far too early.   ::)

:ohmy: Gulp!  8)

rock_chick

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 14:32 »
Thanks JayG for the info.

xx
new old greenhouse..

Started by RoynLisa on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 14:53
by muntjac
xx
Greenhouse - which one ?

Started by scentedstock on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 17:26
by Lee1978
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 22:39
by Paul Plots
xx
Greenhouse up

Started by AdsaM on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:41
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 38 queries.