Echium

• 3 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Echium
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:31 »
I thought I'd try growing echiums this year after seeing these stunning plants on Tresco in the Scilly Isles and then spotting one in a neighbour's garden.  The seeds germinated well and I dotted a few plants in the border in June.  They've now formed large rosettes, but still at ground level.  I was quite disappointed as I expected to see them flower this year but I've just checked on google and find that they send up their flower spikes next year - woo hoo I can't wait :) :)

zazen999

Re: Echium
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:43 »
We did the same last year and they all died over the winter.

Make sure you protect them with fleece or something....i had to re-sow and they are staying in pots this summer and going out in the spring.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:31 »
We did the same last year and they all died over the winter.

Make sure you protect them with fleece or something....i had to re-sow and they are staying in pots this summer and going out in the spring.

Thanks Zazen, I'll do that - hope next winter will not be as bad!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 22:26 »
oops Zazen - I didn't follow your advice and cover them with fleece and guess what ?- we just had the coldest December on record.

My plants have all collapsed so I guess they have had it - should I just dig them out now or maybe they will recover?  I read the RHS magazine last year that the echium wildpretii hybrids at Rosemoor came through the 09/10 winter and we have a similar climate near the sea in N Somerset but maybe the weather this year was too much for them too.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have still have some seed left so I will try again - nihil desperandum :)

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 28 queries.