problem with my green beans

• 4 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
problem with my green beans
« on: August 11, 2010, 14:51 »
 :(

Hi all, im new to this so thanks for any one who can help me, ive grown a batch of green bean plants which all look very healthy, they have lovely flowers but then once the flowers are fully open they crumble off the plant.   I cnat see any pests and have sprayed the plants with bug go just in case its bugs, but its driving me potty as they have been flowereing now to 2 months getting well fed with tomatorite and ive not had a single bean.... Help

many thanks

Julie

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: problem with my green beans
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 15:21 »
Hi again Julie, I've followed you here from the "Welcome" forum!

First thought is that you shouldn't spray the plants with anything which might kill pollinating insects; you need them to get beans!

I'ts not unusual to lose a lot of bean flowers, but the situation usually improves with a change in the weather (less hot, less windy etc) It is quite unusual not to have any bean set for 2 months though.

What do you mean by "crumbling" (unpollinated flowers usually just fall off; sometimes short-tongued bees chew through the base of the flowers because that's the only way they can reach the pollen, and I have known sparrows peck the flowers off "just for fun"!)

Keep the plants well watered; this is more important than feeding at this stage.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 15:27 »
Ahh. your have given me a big clue, maybe my flowers are not getting polinated!! I havnt seen many insects in them but have scared a few greenfinches out of the bush.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 15:29 »
are they runner beans or french beans? because french beans, climbing or dwarf, don't need pollinating, but runner beans do.
Just as Jay says just keep them watered and leave them to it, and keep your fingers crossed :D

Ah maybe it's the birds.......have you got any wide mesh netting you could cover them with

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 15:32 »
ill get some mesh and try it, im not sure which sort they are they have white flowers if its any help!!!!!

xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Green fly, black fly help we have a serious problem

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 14:58
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 38 queries.