Eelworm prevention in spuds

• 5 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Eelworm prevention in spuds
« on: August 10, 2010, 21:01 »
Not sure if it works 100% but the tip came from a reliable source.

Plant mustard now and dig in around November.  It helps get rid of wireworm and is a good green manure.  Either way, you can't lose.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 22:25 by Ice »
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wireworm prevention in spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 21:10 »
Sounds like a good suggestion, worth a try (unless you have club root problems, as mustard is a brassica).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 21:42 »
There seems to be confusion between wireworms and eelworms.

Mustard induces eelworm cysts to hatch and with no potatoes to live on they perish.

Eelworms are tiny nematodes that cannot be seen with the naked eye. The symptoms of nematodes are poor roots that grow into a birdsnest so that the plants wilt in hot weather. They lay their eggs in pinhead sized lemon shaped yellow cysts which can be seen attached to the roots of affected plants towards the end of Summer. Each cyst contains hundreds of eggs which hatch when potato roots, or mustard, are in the soil. Eelworms will gradually build up in soil if potatoes are grown too often. A break in the rotation of 3 or 4 years if sufficient to control them. Some farmers in Cornwall grow early potatoes on the same fields every year. They are able to do this because their crops are lifted before the eelworms lay their eggs.

Wireworms are the lavae of click beetles. The click beetles lay their eggs on grasses, which is why damage is worst in the first years after digging in pasture or rough , couch infested soil. Grass paths or badly cultivated plots also see infestations. The wireworms are between 5mm and 40mm long, yellow, shiny and difficult to squash, hence wireworm. Damage to crops is usually the roots of seedlings being eaten or small tunnels in root crops such as carrots and potatoes. Wireworm holes are often the entry point for slugs into potatoes.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 22:20 »
An article here about the on-going research into mustard as a possible biological control of potato eelworm if anyone's interested.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Eelworm prevention in spuds
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 22:27 »
Ok, I hold my hands up, I meant eelworm. ::)  :blink:

Salmo

Re: Eelworm prevention in spuds
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 23:53 »
If eelworms are bad enough to be noticable then you should probably be lengthening your rotation to at least 6 years and maybe more. Because allotment plots are relatively small it could be that the best way forward would be not to grow potatoes at all for a few years.

Do tomatoes also host potato eelworms? Does anyone know this?

xx
Can anyone tell me about eelworm?

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 07:56
by debih
xx
eelworm

Started by ulsterfairy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 19:11
by ulsterfairy
xx
eelworm killer

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 12:42
by WG.
xx
potato eelworm

Started by oborne27 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 27, 2010, 10:57
by JayG

Page created in 0.99 seconds with 37 queries.