Grape Vine From Aldi - Help Anyone?

• 12 Replies

AndyRVTR

Grape Vine From Aldi - Help Anyone?
« on: August 10, 2010, 19:42 »
Can anyone give any advice re. growing grapes... On the spur of the moment I bought a grape vine plant from Aldi, but not sure what type it is or what to do with it.
I've read a few posts from other people and the general thing seems to be planting them in the ground and train them through a hole in the wall of the greenhouse and then along the roof.
My problem with this is my plot is on a slope and the greenhouse is built up from the trench immediately in front of it, which is the perfect place for it, south facing and deep fertile ground.
The hole I have already in place is between 24"-30" from ground level, would that be a problem or will a vine manage this with ease?

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Re: Grape Vine From Aldi - Help Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 19:46 »
I got one of these 2. Gave it a good water and is still in the little pot it came in but all the leaves have started to wilt. ANY1 no why this is?
Many thanks John.
Woooooooooooooo

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 21:00 »
ANDY
I grew a grape vine as you suggested but mine was planted on the north side of the greenhouse which gave the roots a bit more shade so the ground didn't dry out so quick, once the vine had filled the greenhouse it got all the sunshine it needed

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 21:54 »
I have 2 in my greenhouse. I planted both of them as close to the corners as I could manage inside as my greenhouse is on 2 rows of concrete blocks! The roots then find their own way out into the cooler soil they seem to prefer and also get what water they need as well
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:38 »
I've got one in my greenhouse.  Its on the back wall (on the west side) and I planted mine straight in the ground, so the roots by now will be outside.  I've had it in for 3 years now.  The first two years, you don't pick the grapes, and then after that, you can (this is my third year, and I've got loads of grapes).  Anyway, in its first year of growth, in, say, November, cut it back so that its a couple of feet high, and the next year, you do the same, cut it back to about 3ft in the November, and then let it grow, just cutting off the lateral branches, so you only have two main branches growing, and just train it to go along the top of your greenhouse.

Whatever you do though, never, ever, water or feed it as all the goodness will then go into the leaf growth and not in your grapes.

And as its on a slight hill, if you see ALL vineyards, 99% are on hills :tongue2:
Babs

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56 »
You could always consider growing the grape outside as this sounds a great location for a vine  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:46 »
You could always consider growing the grape outside as this sounds a great location for a vine  :D

LOL... would it not be too cold way oop North?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 13:16 »
Ahhhhhhh maybe  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, forgot how far up the country you are Andy  :nowink:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 13:46 »
sooooooooooo.... in answer to the last part of my question  :D would I be able to train my vine from the soil level (30" below floor level) up and into the greenhouse thru the hole in the wall?

savbo

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 13:51 »

LOL... would it not be too cold way oop North?
[/quote]

I think the roots being cold is OK, they get v cold continental winters, but they don't like soggy. I've heard of people planting them in pits of rubble and bricks...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 17:25 »
sooooooooooo.... in answer to the last part of my question  :D would I be able to train my vine from the soil level (30" below floor level) up and into the greenhouse thru the hole in the wall?

Yes, you certainly could. You might find it grows shoots off outside... just ignore them until pruning time (early autumn ) and take them out then.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 20:15 »
Train it up the back of the greenhouse so that it does not shade your other crops.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 21:11 »
Thankyou everyone for all your valuable comments, I feel much more confident about it now  :D :D

clip
grape vine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 09:55
by jambop
xx
Grape vine in a a pot

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 22:03
by TheModfather
xx
Got my grape vine

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 19:38
by mickwood
xx
Grape vine

Started by Allotmentbabe1968 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 21:56
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 28 queries.