How to get land for gardening

• 25 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How to get land for gardening
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 15:36 »
The loophole is that the law, as I understand it, is that it does not tell them that they have to do it right now

So they can say they are considering it ::)  :( ad infinitum >:(

rock_chick

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 15:47 »
The loophole is that the law, as I understand it, is that it does not tell them that they have to do it right now

That's what our council are doing   :mad:
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 15:47 »
Our parish copuncil opened 2 new sites over the last two years, some of the plots have never been worked and are being offered on landshare by the tennents as unprepared allotments for a share of the produce.
None of them are full size plots, ours will suppliment our diet but we will still have to buy veg.
I don't think that's right,  if you have never worked it you probably never will so why keep it? Or am I just being mean spirited?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 15:51 »
This in effect is sub-letting and is most probably against the tenancy agreement.

A quiet word in the right place maybe?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dotty

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 16:56 »

How sad.

Someone should start a campaign to shame them!! I have just been listening to the economic doom and gloom on the news. Everyone is going to have to tighten their belts and as we all know growing your own is a good place to start as well as eco friendly.
I am a closet revolutionary but a bit on the "mature" side  :lol:
Love me, love my veggies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 17:34 »
Part of the economic doom and gloom includes £millions shaved off council budgets so less money to spend buying land and then administering / maintaining it.  Unless your council can find a local landowner willing to lease out land on a long-term basis, or a church / parish council ditto, then the chances of new land being actually acquired by a council are increasingly slim.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dotty

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 18:17 »
Part of the economic doom and gloom includes £millions shaved off council budgets so less money to spend buying land and then administering / maintaining it.  Unless your council can find a local landowner willing to lease out land on a long-term basis, or a church / parish council ditto, then the chances of new land being actually acquired by a council are increasingly slim.

I accept that it would not be viable for councils to buy up land, but in my case, the council has several plots of unused land next to public woodland that would be ideal. It does nothing year after year apart from COST the council money cutting back the growth etc.
I am sure theres plenty of council owned land up and down the country currently doing nothing and could be utilised. They might even make money out of it by charging small rents like most allotments do

daisy1990

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 18:55 »
and what about the issue of 'set aside' land, this is where farmers/ landowners are paid money not to farm the land (intended to avoid the oversupply of goods I think) perfectly good land is left when clearly there is huge interest in GYO.  Couldn't payments be made for splitting the land into allotments instead?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 20:26 »
I accept that it would not be viable for councils to buy up land, but in my case, the council has several plots of unused land next to public woodland that would be ideal. It does nothing year after year apart from COST the council money cutting back the growth etc.

Fair enough.  If you haven't already done so, then, I'd be writing to my local council with 5 other registered electors under the Allotments Acts and asking them to provide new allotments - with suggestions of these areas of land.

I am sure theres plenty of council owned land up and down the country currently doing nothing and could be utilised. They might even make money out of it by charging small rents like most allotments do

They're not money making schemes though I should think.  People want water, fencing, security, skips.  If there are rats they want them dealing with.  There needs to be a council employee to administer the allotments / rent / warning letters / disputes between tenants.  Or to liaise with / monitor etc any self-administration of the site by the tenants.

Not saying it's not possible, just that it's not necessarily as straightforward as it might seem.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 20:32 »
and what about the issue of 'set aside' land, this is where farmers/ landowners are paid money not to farm the land (intended to avoid the oversupply of goods I think) perfectly good land is left when clearly there is huge interest in GYO.  Couldn't payments be made for splitting the land into allotments instead?

Set-aside money came from the EU and was designed firstly, as you say, to reduce the over-surpluses in production, but also to deliver environmental benefits for biodiversity and farmland birds etc.  Continued cultivation would be counter-productive to the latter purpose.

The set-aside scheme was abolished a couple of years ago in any event.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 20:58 »

But unless it's already used, or has been used, for agricultural purposes, it would probably need planning permission for change of use.

xx
How much land do you need?

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 12:49
by Eristic
xx
PREPARING LAND - HELP!

Started by benkelway on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 22:42
by benkelway
xx
Land Seaweed ?

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 21:32
by Tea Break
xx
Land! What would you like to grow?

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 19:14
by Vit

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 30 queries.