Cutting celery

• 15 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Cutting celery
« on: August 08, 2010, 22:13 »
Has anyone tried 'cutting celery'? I got seed from T&M and tried it this year. It has grown well - better than most other veg that I tried to start in the dry spring. But now I have pulled it all out and put it on the compost. It was impossibly bitter and stringy.

Trillium

Re: Cutting celery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:35 »
I've not tried it myself, but celery is a bog plant and needs a great deal of water so it stays sweet and not bitter. Too much fertilizer also makes it rather bitter.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59 »
I grow celery and it's always been fine.  I wouldn't be put off by this year's results as it's easy to grow and normally trouble-free

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:27 »
I have grown self blanching this year for the first time. It looks OK but needs water every day. Soon be big enough to try.

Compostqueen, please could you give us some tips on how it should be grown.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 22:14 »
I've grown self-blanching for several years with good results...as long as it's kept wet.

I cut it about an inch above the ground and the plant then sends up lots of new shoots which can be used in soups or chopped in salads.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 22:31 »
The cutting celery 'Parcel' that I grow is for garnish or for adding flavour to soups and stews, rather than for eating raw, like ordinary celery.

An old link http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38174.msg454998#msg454998

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 23:01 »
Do I remember this right ???  --- Parcel is a cross between parsley and celery hence its characteristics and uses as described.
R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:42 »
It was called Parcel because it looks like parsley, but tastes of celery, it is in fact just a named variety of cutting celery  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59 »
I grew about six plants of this year before last expecting it to be perennial but it died over winter. Very tall plants so ok in the back of the lotty or border. Very strong tasting

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05 »
I'd not heard of Parcel before.  It sounds ideal for me to grow as I don't eat enough celery to make it worthwhile to grow, but I do love the taste in soups and stews.  Should also be nice in salads too.  Thanks mum. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34 »
I grew about six plants of this year before last expecting it to be perennial but it died over winter. Very tall plants so ok in the back of the lotty or border. Very strong tasting

That's weird, mine never get more than about 10 inches tall and it is a biennial, so I usually get some in the spring before the next lot gets going ;)

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 16:40 »
Thanks for the replies, but it sounds as though no-one has used this particular one. It is not 'Parcel', it is a T&M seed, "Herb'Cutting Celery'", Apium graveolens - which as far as I know is just celery. It is recommended for summer salads, garnishes and stews. Instructions are 'Will grow in any well-drained soil in full sun ar partial shade'.

Still, perhaps the dry spring has adversely affected its texture and flavour, though it has certainly grown well. However, I can't recommend it.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 20:16 »
Lack of water does make things tough and I noticed the parsley and even the chives are tough this year through lack of water.

zazen999

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 21:46 »
Best way to grow celery for soups is to grow it in pots that sit in a gravel tray which is permanently full of water.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 18:07 »
It was impossibly bitter and stringy.

Sounds just like mine :( I'm hoping it will cheer up with the wetter weather we've been having.

I was growing it as a "shovel" for dips, but may have to use it for soups.

Maybe next year I'll have to go the whole hog and grow proper, more-effort, celery rather than the cheat's Self Blanching stuff ...

Best way to grow celery for soups is to grow it in pots that sit in a gravel tray which is permanently full of water.

That's a tip worth adopting!, thanks

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:30
by gobs
xx
Celery

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 21:55
by Bozwell
xx
celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2023, 12:05
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 38 queries.