gapeworm!!

• 4 Replies

SpeckledyHen

gapeworm!!
« on: August 08, 2010, 19:00 »
Hi everyone,

just thought you all might like to know the outcome of my gapeworm drama.  After finding one of my 18wk old chickens listless, gaping, coughing/sneezing noise with eyes shut I really thought it was curtains for her.  After seeking info on the internet found that Flubenvet was the only likely cure if it wasn't too late.  Found Flubenvet on sale at my local Co op Pharmacy? £15.75 for the 60mg size.

Now this is supposed to be added to food, but what use it would be to a chicken off its food and too poorly to eat I dont know.  So I thought this is either kill or cure, mixed a small amount (just covered the bottom of the scoop) with a drop or too of water.....caught hen and squirted a syringe on the back of tongue.  After a dose in the morning and night for two days she is looking pretty good! :) Hope this helps if anyone has same prob! 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: gapeworm!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 19:02 »
Well done SpeckledyHen :D

(welcome to the forums too)

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 21:41 »
good idea, i normally use panacur in the water for when the pheasants and partridges have gapes, but they used to cure it by shoving a feather covered in panacur down the throat and twisting it.
Sheep wormer's good for the phesant's as well ;)

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 22:44 »
yeah panacur is a cattle/sheep wormer, its an all rounder really, good for puppies aswell
yeah i agree

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 22:51 »
BUT...

...as panacur is not licenced for poultry it has to be prescribed by a vet who will give instruction regarding egg and meat withdrawal periods.

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.