Moving Strawberrys

• 4 Replies

MoreWhisky

Moving Strawberrys
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:31 »
Im going to move my Strawberry patch (3 rows 10m long). completely to a new part of my plot, as i think they been there long enough and its time for a move.

I will be using the same space just the other end of my plot. I have so far left the strawberry plants and runners that have rooted alone, im going to chuck the old plants and move the runners into new site.

Just after general advice for the move please? when the best time to move the runner plants? any miracle stuff to treat my new patch with before hey go in? etc ?

Thanks MW.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Re: Moving Strawberrys
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45 »
I've poted up the runners from my strabs and in a book I read it said to plant the runners out in the autum. As for teating the ground 1st, I'd dig in some well rotted manure now. Hope this helps

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45 »
all I did the other year was wait until about Sept, then dug up the existing plants and plonked most of them into the new bed - into which I had mixed compost some time earlier. I didnt even take much care over the plants - I dug deepish with the spade and transplanted the clumps!! Took about 30 mins for a similar sized bed to yours in total.

As I wasnt sure whether that would work or whether to use only the runners, I did about half and half ie) about half were the original plants simply transplanted, and the other half were the runners.  The surplus plants I composted.

And got an excellent crop the following year off them of both original transplanted plants and what were the runners.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 15:08 »
I'm a great one for working in any (and as much as can be found) spare compost into my strawberry beds as I don't have access to manure and feeding well when transplanting. Something like chicken pellets or growmore or whatever your fertiliser of choice is. This gets them away to a good start at this end of the year and they build up good roots ready for next season.

I keep a rotation of new runners, first year and second year plants at end of season. I'm apt to put the runners in pots out of the way to get roots really well down while I sort out the rest of the bed. This allows me to sort out older plants which can be replaced with first and second year plants. Then I keep a space for the new runners. Just allows me to know which are the older plants and which ones are for the chucking next time it's clearing out time.

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 16:42 »
I grew some alpine strawbs from seed this year and having no space sadly they got left in modules  - but hardy things that they seem to be have survived and fruited  the white ones were delicious- I am going to plant them round the edge of strawberry bed do you treat rhem the same as ordinary strawbs? Not grown these before.

xx
moving strawberrys

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2015, 11:36
by mumofstig
xx
Strawberrys

Started by tezmac on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 15:08
by poppies
clip
Strawberrys

Started by BlueThumb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 13:43
by Nobbie
xx
strawberrys

Started by BELLS PLOT on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 29 queries.