white egg

• 8 Replies

peggygate

white egg
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:24 »
  hi all,   had my chooks now for a good few months, and they are laying everyday, went out to check them earlier to find that one had layed a white egg!!!!!!!!!!!  is there any reason for this,  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: white egg
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29 »
what colour do they normally lay? I have blue layers, white layers and brown layers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

peggygate

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 13:11 »
hi joyful,  they usually lay brown eggs,    peggygate

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 13:15 »
New colour cartridge needed, refer to handbook for fitting instructions. :)

Junie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 14:10 »
We have 9 chooks - all of which started laying various bown egggs, then suddenly a white one appeared and still does.  It seemed to coincide with one of the chickens getting badly mauled by a fox, and having skin  ripped off both sides of her back end, she survived but we are not sure if she is laying it.  Could it be stress related? 

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 14:51 »
I got my chooks in Jan this year and I started off with 4 brown eggs, and with time I now get 1 dark brown, one pale brown and the remaining two can be anywhere between white and white with a hint of brown is the best way of describing them. Not sure if it is food related, but the change seemed to happen when we changed their corn (couldn't get any of what they usually had), but have now gone back to the original mix. Having said that they only get 3 handfuls between 4 birds so not sure. They get ad lib layers pellets and a separate dish of mixed grit and oystershell.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 20:33 »
The heat can affect them as can the speed of the egg travelling through the egg production passage. Perhaps it didn't stay in the final colouring part very long - the colour is generally laid on the shell at the end (if you get an egg that has just been laid you can sometimes rub the colour off).

Junie

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 21:00 »
Perhaps that bit got damaged in the case of my bird, when she was attacked by the fox!  If they are her eggs anyway!

Junie

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 14:25 »
Me and the boys have just watched two of our birds in the same nest box ( they have 4 but all want the same one, but a different one each day) Well, we had a "beautiful" view of an egg being laid and lo and behold it was a white egg the first time for my boys, they were mesmerised.  It was not the one who was mauled by the fox, but the one who currently has few feathers.  We also know that she is the mum of two of our chicks, so she presumably she is quite healthy, apart from looking mangey.   So more me mystery solved.  We will have to see if it continues to stay white in the winter too.

xx
1 White Egg Only!!!

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 08:28
by kimT
xx
No White!

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 18:27
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Odd egg white

Started by Robert_S on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 17:54
by hen-night
xx
White Egg's

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 19:43
by westie

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 37 queries.