New hens not laying but its been 6 weeks!

• 1 Replies

litefunky1

New hens not laying but its been 6 weeks!
« on: August 07, 2010, 14:10 »
Hello

I recently bought two new pol hens from Cotswold Chickens, Amber Leigh variety to replace my retired Bovan Goldines. I have had them six weeks now but still no eggs. We had a perfect egg from one about 3 weeks ago and a soft egg from the other but none since and no signs of laying. We have been feeding them layers pellets which they have access to all the time and they have access to mixed grit which they peck at. They also get a small handful of corn inthe afternoons and the odd bit of lettuce or tomato so they are getting all the right things. We wormed them last week too in case it was that.

Someone has suggested they may be short of protein so I am going to try some mealworms but does anyone else have any suggestions as to what it might be? I did think it was early days but all chickens I've had before started laying sooner than this.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

evie2

Re: New hens not laying but its been 6 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 14:40 »
Hi there, you've come to the right place for help :D

We got our girls 6 weeks ago too and were told they were laying; not so.  It was 2 weeks before an egg and one still isn't laying.  We had all sorts of eggs for the last couple of weeks from two of the Ambers; no shell, very thin shell and on Wednesday a tiny empty one that looked like the eggs the snake laid :nowink:

There are loads of posts on here that may help, they definitely helped me :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
2 still not laying and 26 weeks now

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 22:42
by Foxy
xx
Hen laying at 8 weeks

Started by Hattrick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 16:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chickens now 38 weeks and not laying!

Started by Kiwigirl on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 09:48
by blossom1044
xx
warrens 24 weeks now and 2 not laying

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 22:28
by chickpee123

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.