Shirley tomato plants

• 14 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Shirley tomato plants
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:43 »
I am growing 4 of these this year because they were so highly rated on the forum last year. I have my first ripe ones now and have just tried one.

They grow very strongly and look very healthy, they set good trusses, they look like a tomato should...........they even taste quite nice (not very but quite :unsure: )
BUT they are so thick skinned they scraped my throat on the way down  :ohmy:  :(

I hope they are not all going to be like this.........they will end up skinned and in pasta sauce if they do!

Good job I sowed some Black Cherry toms as well, my favourite so far :)

vet

• Experienced Member
Re: Shirley tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 14:16 »

Good job I sowed some Black Cherry toms as well, my favourite so far :)

Didn't sow any this year but were a favourite last year along with harliquin the baby plum toms.
Perhaps with the Shirleys its the weather conditions, it's been playing havoc with everything :(

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 14:21 »
After mixing the labels up on mine, I couldn't tell you if the shirley are nice or not LOL.  But my red alert which I highly rated last year are watery and not as nice at all, possibly from a different packet to last year.  The Lidl on the other hand tastier, and more distintive, than last year.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 14:22 »
Hi Mumofstig,

I'm growing Shirlies for the first time this year. Won't bother next...

Even under the conditions here (quite a lot of rain in June but otherwise reasonable for toms, as you'd expect), they're not particularly good. Taste only so-so and texture not marvellous. Ours have turned out kind of mushy inside and thick-skinned, like yours. Just as well we have our favourites too - Marmandes and Sungold cherries, which we are recent converts to.

And hi sclarke624. Do you remember which toms you got from Lidl? We have a store near us and their seeds are so cheap compared to everyone else's.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 14:46 »
I have a Shirley tomato growing indoors - none ripe yet but looking forward to comparing them with Bambino, Gardener's Delight and Golden Sunrise.

Skin thinkness may vary if grow indoors rather than out - all influenced by the temperature, watering and sunshine levels I guess (to say nothing of the growing medium).  ;)

Most prolific so far is one plant from father-in-law. It might be "tumbler" (?) - flopped all over the place and looks like an explosion - plastered in fruit.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 15:06 »
Shirley's are my staple & have been for years. Just starting to turn.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 15:56 »
Mine are just starting to turn aswell. Im looking foward to trying these. Hope they good as the seeds where one of the most expensive.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 17:37 »
I grow Shirley in a very hot green house and they do really well.  The fruits are quite big on big trusses and OH says they are lovely.  I dont like toms raw but like them cooked but haven't cooked any yet this year.

No good for cooking but i can keep Sun Gold - OH's favourite - cropping in an unheated green house until January when i usually get fed up with looking after them and pull them out ::)
I picked a bowl of Shirley on Boxing Day last year:happy: Not that I'm boasting :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 17:51 »
 :tongue2:...... :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 18:01 »
Mine are just starting to turn aswell. Im looking foward to trying these. Hope they good as the seeds where one of the most expensive.

I use Moles seeds, £5.90 for 50 seed, post free. By comparison T & M are £ 3.69 for just 10, plus postage.

This is enough seed for at least 2 years, on top of that I root the side shoots for outside planting later.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 18:03 »

I use Moles seeds, £5.90 for 50 seed, post free. By comparison T & M are £ 3.69 for just 10, plus postage.

This is enough seed for at least 2 years, on top of that I root the side shoots for outside planting later.

I've found that works well too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 18:06 »
I got my packet of Sutton's seeds from flea bay 99p + 60p&p but only used a few, I may not be needing anymore at this rate ::)

Spana

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 18:20 »

I use Moles seeds,

Just had a look at Moles seeds, they seem tremendous value when compared to the likes of T&M.  I tend to stick to the old basics like All year round lettuce and Early Nantes carrots so i'm going to give them a try.  The flower seeds are good prices too.  Thanks DD :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 18:34 »
Moles take a lot of beating for seed you need a lot of, either using, sharing or storing, as they tend not to come in very small quantities!

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 20:03 »

And hi sclarke624. Do you remember which toms you got from Lidl? We have a store near us and their seeds are so cheap compared to everyone else's.

Hiya
I spelt them wrong they aren't from Lidls they are ildi seeds LOL
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/404/1.html
How do you even pronounce ildi??????????
Also available from Nickys seeds cheaper per seed or is that too anal LOL
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 00:15 by sclarke624 »

xx
Shirley Tomato seeds ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 09:35
by mumofstig
xx
Shirley F1 Toms

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 13:10
by Spana
xx
shirley tomatos F1

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 18:34
by Rosy
xx
Shirley Toms Spacing

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:11
by DD.

Page created in 1.165 seconds with 38 queries.