Where to place a greenhouse

• 7 Replies

Dotty

Where to place a greenhouse
« on: August 03, 2010, 16:08 »
We have very kindly been given an 8ft x 5ft greenhouse which we shall need to reassemble soon. Our problem is that I do not want to put it in the main part of our garden as it will spoil the look of it. We have our veggie patch in a sort of "wilderness" section hidden from view which is where we plan to grow everything. I want to place the greenhouse in this section as it is close to everything. The problem is that the only place it can go is next to a tree!! I was thinking that if i remove some of the lower branches this will allow much more light in, but it still wont get full sun all day. I know this is not ideal but dont have much choice. Will i still be able to grow plenty of stuff in this position? It really isnt deep shade and most of the day would have dappled sunlight.
Love me, love my veggies

diggerjoe

Re: Where to place a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 16:27 »
Mines in dappled sunlight Dotty a big lilac one side and a rowan the other but I still manage to grow things toms and peppers doing well and lettuce over winter. I had nowhere else to put it only thing is the glass gets a little green as its a bit damper than if if it was in full sun.

chris.selvey

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 16:30 »
Yeah, it should be fine  :D

Look on the bright side, that the plants leaves are shaded from the powerful mid-day summer sunshine so not to burn them :)

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 16:35 »
Wow thanks guys. I was worried it would be a waste of time and wouldnt grow much.
I shall tell husband to start erecting it when he comes home from work...he WILL be pleased..lol

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 17:26 »
Just a point -- I have two greenhouses and one is about 8 foot from a willow the other nearer 20 foot away but orientation is such taht shading is only very slight. The willow sends roots into both greenhouses and sends up suckers - not too bad as I just dig out any roots I find and cut off the suckers. I did have to get a tree surgeon to take top out of willow though when it decided to start to curve over the smallest GH and I was worried about any falling stuff in the future. (Tree surgeon was here for other reasons so did not cost me on that occasion) Just making the point that trees grow so it is worth thinking along way ahead.
R

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 19:22 »
Thanks Richard. I think our tree is a Plain tree of some sort. Thre branches seem to be well spread out allowing plenty of light through but we shall chop off the lower 3 branches for now.
There doesnt seem to be any suckers coming from it so far but i shall keep my eyes open.

I just though of another question. What do you stand a greenhouse on?? Probably sounds a daft question, but i dont want a concrete plinth as i will need plenty of earth inside!! I was thinking it might be ok to just dig a small trench all round and stand it on bricks or am i being completely daft?? :blink:

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 20:00 »
mine stand on a ring of blocks that are supported off 3inch thick paving slabs which is what I had spare. Others will have other suggestions but obviously a good foundation is required or the greenhouse will sag and settle and the glass will crack/leak etc and doors not run true.
Two or three courses of brick on a  concrete footing is traditional. then the beds use the brick as one side wall of the bed
R

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 09:10 »
Forgot to add that you will need to clean out the gutters often as the leaves get dragged in there by any rain.

xx
Where to place my greenhouse on my new plot

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 10:53
by tode
xx
Hello from new place!

Started by anti on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2008, 23:13
by Roll Roll
xx
best place for seeds.

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 01:44
by ditchdigger
xx
Different veg, same place , same season.

Started by chumpy7 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2015, 13:37
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.833 seconds with 36 queries.