Thistles

• 3 Replies

kevinp

• Experienced Member
Thistles
« on: August 01, 2010, 21:51 »
Can I compost Thistles or should I do something else to them, there are quite a few on my plot and around it, they are fairly easy to remove as I am digging the plot over but what's the best thing to do with them when they are out.

As you can see there are plenty around the place not much of anything else though apart from the occasional doc.

That's my mound of dug up thistles in the last picture, I hope to have my compost bins in place later in the week.

Salmo

Re: Thistles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 22:05 »
Are these creeping thistle with a long white root or annual milk (sow) thistle?

In either case I would not put them on to your compost heap. The former will grow again from bits of root and/or seeds. Either let it dry and burn, stuff it into plastic bags and leave for a year, or send to the council recycling where the compost making achieves temperatures high enough to kill roots and seed. The latter will grow from seed. I would send it to the council recycling as if you try to dry it for burning the seeds will scatter.

Creeping thistle is quite vunerable to glyphosate herbicides(e.g. Roundup). My approach would be to spray, wait 2 weeks, dig out the roots. No need to wait for them to die off.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 13:02 »
I burn them and any other permanent (perennial) weeds
Paul

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 14:55 »
Thanks for the advice I might see if I am allowed to burn them here.

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.