Use onions or let them ripen?

• 16 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Use onions or let them ripen?
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:22 »
I have about 75 onions. Many seem to have harvested theirs, only one of my varieties is starting to "go over".

We've been pulling a few to use in the kitchen.

I reckon we use about 2 onions a week - so 100, or so a year (and maybe I have under estimated how many we use, given how many thousands I read that you lot seem to use!!

So ... given that I only have enough for 1/2 to (maybe) 3/4 of the year should I use them from the plot, or wait until they are ripe and then start using them?

(All grown from seed, only one has produced a flower head, and that was only a few days ago; sown 14 Feb in Modules)

The chef did say that the red onions made her cry, which apparently is rare, and thus "they must be strong"

Cazzy

Re: Use onions or let them ripen?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:34 »
I always use mine right away
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 13:01 »
I start picking and using them as soon as I need them.

I just about keep up with our onion usage. We give away some, but I grow about 300 ordinary onions a year plus 150 shallots and 100 or so other small onions for casseroles. That's just for the two of us.

In the winter, we get through a lot in onion soup and onion pizza, otherwise known as pissaladière niçoise if I'm serving it to guests!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 15:18 »
You can use them as you wish, either growing away or pull them when the tops keel over and let them dry off in the sun. Their skins crispen up and they'll store.  Some varieties are better keeper than others. 

SG6

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 15:35 »
Thinking along the same lines. Aren't you going to have to use some as you need them, allow the remainder to ripen/bulk up, then lift, dry and store whatever is left?

From what you say you are only using a couple a week so come Sept you should have about 60 that will have ripened and need to be stored.

Either that or you are going to eat a lot of onions in the next 4 weeks or so. :ohmy: :ohmy:

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 18:01 »
mine have 'gone over' but i havent had time to lift them yet.  so, is it OK to keep them in the ground then?  i have been paniking about them bolting or going off until i find the time.

thanks, and sorry for hijacking your thread :wub:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13 »
Thanks all, I think I've probably been thinking more about the Growing part than the Consuming part!

Strikes me that they may not keep perfectly, so using them up, from as soon as they are ready for "early" harvesting, is better.

Goose, its a good question.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16 »
If they've "gone over" they'll be OK for a while. They won't bolt, they've stopped growing and entered a dormancy period.

BUT the sooner you can get them up and dried properly, the better.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:14 »
thanks for the advice....off to the plot now to dig them up ;)

madcat

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 16:54 »
The chef did say that the red onions made her cry, which apparently is rare, and thus "they must be strong"

Mine are much stronger this year - I've been putting it down to the lack of rain compared to last year (no, they didnt get watered!).  They are even making OH teary chopping them, and he is hard  ... when it comes to onions, that is!   :D 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 16:56 »
Mine went in a bit late and so lots still have their stems kind of upright.

Surprising really given the dry conditions  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 17:39 »

So ... given that I only have enough for 1/2 to (maybe) 3/4 of the year should I use them from the plot, or wait until they are ripe and then start using them?

(

Seed grown and properly ripened they should store well.  Having said that you can only eat them once - does it matter when ? ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39 »
Seed grown and properly ripened they should store well.  Having said that you can only eat them once - does it matter when ? ;)
Indeed, just wondered whether we might be using 2 onions for a dish at the moment, which might only need one "mature" bulb later. That woudl be true if we had started harvesting ages ago, of course; first time I've grown onions "successfully" so not sure how they compare to bulbs that have made it all the way through harvesting & drying. As each day passes it must be becoming much-of-a-muchness - unless harvesting & drying makes the bulbs more potent perhaps?

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02 »
Not so sure about this Onion ripening/when to harvest stuff.  My lot grown from sets were doing fine until we had strong winds 3 weeks ago after which all became 'bent over'  do I take this to mean they are ready to harvest?  All the bulbs are 3-4 inches across and firm to the touch but in theory still have about 4 weeks to go from planting.  Pull up now or leave for another 4 weeks?

Any comments please.

gillie

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:57 »
If you are in the seriously droughty  part of the country (as we are!) I would get your onions in before we have any serious rain, otherwise they might decide that Spring has come and all bolt!

Gillie

xx
Are my tomatoes ever going to ripen?

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 22:50
by NN2Blue
xx
Will these Chillies ripen?

Started by OB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 21:27
by Fat Hen
xx
How to ripen tomatoes

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 13:25
by muntjac
xx
Toms - When will they ripen?

Started by Kathie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 14:32
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 36 queries.